Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipos in Hot Shed

Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 AM
padams10001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos in Hot Shed

I've recently moved into a new house and now keep all my RC stuff in a shed that joins the house. Today got to 40C (104F) and the temp was probably 50C (122F) or more in the shed.

Is this getting too hot to store my lipos in or is it ok?
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipos in Hot Shed

i would say it's too hot.
Go in the shed at early afternoon and take a temp reading to see how hot it actually gets.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

If you are going to store them in the shed, I would keep them in an insulated container. If left just sitting out on a shelf the heat build up in the shed during the day would not be good. If they are in an insulated container the container will keep them at a more stable temp.

I know allot of people are going to say it makes no difference in or out of a container, but I believe it does. If you take a plastic item and put in in your car out in the hot sun without it being in a container it will most likely get damaged. But, if you put it in a container and put the container in your trunk the item will most likely survive.

Another thought....When these batteries are shipped around the world, in shipping containers, they may sit in some storage facility for extended periods of time. These storage facilities could be in places that are extremely hot.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
padams10001

I reckon I will start storing them in an airtight container in the bar fridge (which is also in the shed and must struggle a bit), just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your responses though.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:34 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Don't put them in an AIR TIGHT container. It only has to contain any possible flames. If you put them in an air tight container, and they go off on you, you have created a bomb. The expanding fumes and gases need to be able to escape.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:29 AM
padams10001

ORIGINAL: tacx

Don't put them in an AIR TIGHT container. It only has to contain any possible flames. If you put them in an air tight container, and they go off on you, you have created a bomb. The expanding fumes and gases need to be able to escape.
Was going to use an plastic sealed container to keep condensation out instead of ziplock bags.