Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: LiPo Tx Pack

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LiPo Tx Pack

Has anyone used a LiPo transmitter pack like the Turnigy 2650, 3S, 1C tx pack in a JR 9303?

Any problems?
    Ed Moorman, AMA 553, Former R/C Report Fun Aerobatics Columnist. 76 and up to my old tricks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: LiPo Tx Pack

Ed, It can be done, but to do it safely, you will need to add an in-line voltage regulator to the battery. The 11.1 volts coming from the 3s will over heat the internal voltage regulator in the Tx.

Secondly, you will need to charge the LiPo externally of the Tx case. The on board Tx charger will not charge the LiPo.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Used to have one in my old DX7. I put a diode from Radio Shack in the line to drop the votage a bit. No problems for many yrs. Was still in it when I sold it.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A diode will not drop voltage, it will only prevent you from reversing the polarity. A resister drops the voltage.

A voltage regulator is needed.

Frank
    AMA #5810
    CPA # 73
    Contest Director
    AMA Introductory Flight Instructor
    Club Safety Officer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

Has anyone used a LiPo transmitter pack like the Turnigy 2650, 3S, 1C tx pack in a JR 9303?

Any problems?
    Hello Ed!

How are you doing these days? Now you are far more versed in all this Lipo stuff than I will ever be or care to be. Yet, I would ask these questions:

1. Why LIPO when there are so many very good choices of STABLE batteries that have a lot less chances of blowing up in one's face?

2. Lithium Ion is far better than LiPo. Lith. Ion is far easier to work with. A Couple weeks ago I saw a guy bringing out two of the what are they called the rather new kids on the street, Li-fe or whatever. He was taking two out of an airplane a WHOOSH, smoke and fire for a couple seconds. I have seen several airplanes destroyed with LiPo packs. But then I do NOT do electrics, so don't really know much about that.

There is the A-123 whatever that is. In addition for a transmitter , it seems that the NiCads and NiMah are as good as one can get. I know how to handle them and there I stay, except for the Lith-Ion. I am using a number of them in airplanes. Charge one up, let it sit for a month, pick it up and go fly. I have several pulse chargers and the NiCads, NiMah are always ready to go. Charge 'em, set 'em on pulse and go fly when the call arises.

Good luck however you go. LiPo in a transmitter scares me. Kind of like early Lap-Tops use to be. [:@] Ya'll be careful out there.

Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Read up on diodes and you'll find they'll drop the voltage by about .7 volts. and you do have to put them in the right way around. The diode is only for insurance. Many are being used without it. The guy that pulled the batt out of the plane obviously pulled on the wires and shorted it out. A nicad or nimh would do the same thing if you shorted it out. Many guys are using the A123/li-fe which are the same batt. They are 3.2 volts per cell as opposed to 3.7 for the lipo/li-ion, so don't need a regulator. My DX8 has a 4000 ma lipo but comes with a nimh. The trans has a built in charger that can be programmed to charge either one. And I do fly electric and stay at a Holiday Inn
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

lipos are still used in apple i pads and some are making the way back into lap tops. It's more rare now getting a lipo fire now than it was back in the day.
    Sorry officer i thought the speed limit only applied to people with driving licenses.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

Many guys are using the A123/li-fe which are the same batt. They are 3.2 volts per cell as opposed to 3.7 for the lipo/li-ion, so don't need a regulator.
    LiFe and A123 are the same chemistry, but that is where the similarity ends. The A123 is a much better battery.

Greg
    You really only own what you can carry at a full out run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LI-FE is the chemistry, A123 is a brand name.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You are correct that A123 is a brand name, but the A123 will also out preform a standard LiFe battery every time. That is why when the nano technology was developed at MIT, they got a patent on it.
    On standard LiFe batteries, the molecules on the negative plate are all end to end. On the A123 all of the molecules stand up on end like a shag carpet giving the plate more surface area allowing these cells to charge faster, discharge faster, and the negative plate of the battery outlasts standard LiFE batteries, thus a longer life and more recharges.

Greg
    You really only own what you can carry at a full out run.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: OldRookie

You are correct that A123 is a brand name, but the A123 will also out preform a standard LiFe battery every time. That is why when this the nano technology was developed at MIT, they got a patent on it.
    On standard LiFe batteries, the molecules on the negative plate are all end to end. On the A123 all of the molecules stand up on end like a shag carpet giving the plate more surface area allowing these cells to charge faster, discharge faster, and the negative plate of the battery outlasts standard LiFE batteries, thus a longer life and more recharges.

Greg
    Correct!

A diode will not drop voltage, it will only prevent you from reversing the polarity. A resister drops the voltage.

A voltage regulator is needed.

Frank
    Sorry thats not correct.
    Andy - Helicopter Forum Moderator
    AMA 77227 Leader Member- Contest Director
    www.JaxRC.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A diode will drop the voltage if current is flowing through it in the forward direction. How much? Depends on the type and manufacturing structure. Typically a silicon diode will drop about 0.7 volts across it but varies a bit with the amount of current being drawn. Of course it will present an almost complete blockage of current in the other direction until you exceed the breakdown voltage at which time it will either become a virtual short circuit or a completely open circuit.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

1. Why LIPO when there are so many very good choices of STABLE batteries that have a lot less chances of blowing up in one's face?
    When did this happen? I did not see it in the news! It sounds horrible - please tell us more!

Kurt