Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 amp/volt meter question

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hanger 9 amp/volt meter question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Hanger 9 amp/volt meter question

I know it checks for amps but can it also check batteries with a load? My volt meter went bad and I need a new one but I would like to get something that check amps as well. This is the only one I have found. THanks
Old 12-17-2012, 08:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 amp/volt meter question

It checks both but there's no load
Old 12-17-2012, 12:02 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p...onics-10001064
If you need a new voltmeter with a load. The one on the right is what you want. It's an excellent unit, but does require some knowledge on the part of the user. It displays the voltage digitally, and it works with all chemistry batteries and a wide range of cell counts. You must actually know what voltage you're looking for. There is no go/no go indication.
The unit on the left is not a voltage meter, but is a servo current meter, handy little device too
Pete
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can make any volt meter a "loaded voltmeter" by simply placing a resistive load in parallel with the voltmeter terminals. For 4 or 5 cell Nixx batteries, use a 10 ohm 5 to 10 watt resistor. this will draw 400 to 700 milliamperes for a load. For a 6 cell transmitter battery, use a 22 ohm 5 to 10 watt resistor to draw about 500 milliamperes for a load. You can get a pretty good VOM (volt-ohm-meter) from Harbor Freight or many hardware stores for about $5 or less.