Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Deciding between chargers, Input wanted

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Deciding between chargers, Input wanted

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Kristoffer_E

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding between chargers, Input wanted

So up to this point, I've never needed a real charger. I run a Blade CX2 with the little charger it came with, and I've just used AAs in my nitro trucks.

I have an opportunity to purchase a Blade mSR, and I want to invest in some LiPo or LiFe reciever packs for the nitros. Also, I'd like to be able to charge my CX2 batteries faster. So I have a dilemma. Do I want a single, high-output charger like this [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17422__TURNIGY_MEGA_400W_V2_Lithium_Polymer_Batt ery_Charger_Version_2_.html]400W Turnigy[/link], or would one of the 4-output chargers be a better choice?

With the one output charger I could parallel charge several batteries, either 1s LiPo for the mSR or 2s LiPo for the CX2 and still have the capacity to charge high-power batteries, say if I ever got a brushless truck. However, if I want to charge a LiFe reciever pack, a 2s 800 mah LiPo, and a 1s 500 mah LiPo ALL AT THE SAME TIME, I'm out of luck. Something like the HobbyKing 4B6 would allow me to do the aforementioned charging craziness.

So, are the 4-output chargers a good choice? And if so, is a particular one better than another? I have found 4 I rather like, of which 2 are within the $75 amount I'd like to spend.
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__16374__HobbyKing_ECO_4_x_6S_Lithium_Polymer_Mult i_Charger.html]HobbyKing ECO 4X6s[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15986__HobbyKing_4B6_Balance_Charger_Plus_Access ories_200W_.html]HobbyKing 4B6[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10327__HobbyKing_Quattro_4x6S_Lithium_Polymer_Mu lti_Charger.html]HobbyKing Quattro[/link]
[link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=18812]Turnigy 4X6s[/link]

What is the real difference between the 3 HobbyKing 4x6s chargers? They all seem to be 200W, 50W per port. If I only use one port at a time, can I put 200W through that port, or is the most power i could ever put to a single battery 50W? And, is the Turnigy a justifiable expense (at nearly double the "budget" I tried to put on this charger ) for the 100W per battery?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:56 AM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Deciding between chargers, Input wanted

The thing to watch with using a charging board is that the batteries have to be the same and at the same level of discharge. You have to add all the batteries to it at the same time (so you cannot use one, put it on to charge, use another then put it on to charge etc).

I confess to not looking at your chargers but the real difference is more than likely going to be their max wattage and amps (watts= volts x amps). The thing to look out for on this one is that you must stay within the amps AND watts limits of the charger.

The chargers may also require a seperate power supply.

All the best
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend to buy from a US based company who can at least provide you with some customer service and where you don't have to spend 1/4 or more of the cost of the item to ship it back if there is a problem.
Check out this one from VH as it is similar to the 4B6 you like and will be about $20.00 less with shipping plus you would have it in a few days not weeks.
www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/chargers/gt-power-xdrive-6-4x60-watt-6a-6s-balance-charger.html
These types of chargers will output only what is rated per port or per pack. The 200w or 240w rating is if you were using all 4 ports at their max output simultaneously.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Kristoffer_E

I agree about the inherent problems with parallel charging board, and that's another reason I like the 4 port charger. However, as far as I can tell the hobbyking 4 port chargers are all 200w, 50w per port, and range from $60 to $90 in price and I can't figure out why.

Thanks for the input,

Kristoffer