Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Eneloop Battery

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM
MX240
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Eneloop Battery

I don't know anything about them. Would they be a good choice when replacing nicads.
Sounds like we can charge them with our peak chargers.

I do have a couple of models that use lipo's and I like them but still have some models that have nicads and want to keep them that way.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Goldenduff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Eneloop Battery

Look at nbs ( no bull s... Batteries) I believe eneloop might not be able to handle large servo amp draw and are not as resilient as nicd. Perfect for Tx though.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ENELOOPS are better suited for Transmitters only, go to HANGTIMES HOBBIES http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html

and click on transmitter packs http://www.hangtimes.com/txpacks.html and scroll down to ENELOOP Packs.

I use these packs in my Transmitters and they work great, long run time, slow discharge, etc
Old 01-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Goldenduff

NoBS batteries is hangtime hobbies website and the comment about eneloop for Tx not Rx is also what I said?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Goldenduff

NoBS batteries is hangtime hobbies website and the comment about eneloop for Tx not Rx is also what I said?
+++++
Old 01-26-2013, 07:38 PM
MX240

OK guys,
Thanks for the Links
Old 01-27-2013, 05:26 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that Eneloops are one of the best possible choices for a transmitter battery. While somewhat more limited in maximum instantaneous current, I use them in my trainer aircraft using 4 normal size servos and both 2.4GHz and 72MHz systems with no problems. This is the AA size 2000mah size. You could always parallel 2 packs and have as good a service with high current demands as you get with any Nixx type battery.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:07 AM
MX240

Yes, Thanks to you guys I know more now then I did about these batterys.
I will have to think about useing them when I redo a couple JR transmitters.

Also, maybe a simple cub trainer might be a thing for these batterys as it gets used very little and the old nicads self dischage so much sitting around in the club house.
The self discharge is the main reason I have switched some of my bigger planes to lipo's.
I don't think the nicads we get now days are as good as they use to be.... Old technology....But still good??
Jim
Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

MX240 and All,
You may wish to visit : electrodynam.com and peruse the info on their Eneloop packs along with other items. I've converted all my transmitter batteries to Eneloops with great success. I've also purchased several of their 4 and 5 cell Eneloop packs for sport models that are used infrequently.
I wouldn notrecommend them for high drain applications, such as multiple digital servos used for 3D, heli or heavy metal warbirds.For these, and jets, I use their ED Nano packs with are true A123 cells. Electrodynamics also sells suitable AC or DC powered chargers for R/C applicationsto charge:NiCd,. NiMh, LiPo, Eneloop, PbS and LiFe chemistries.

Art ARRO
Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 AM
MX240

Thanks Art for that LInk.
I wish a couple of years ago I would have started with the A123 cells rather then the Lithium Ion's http://www.fromeco.org/
But I have all the regulators and chargers for those cells, so will stick with them for awhile yet.
Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Four Stroker

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eneloop packs - great for legacy TX packs. OK for a maybe .40 size trainer with 50 in-oz analog servos. Not recommended for digitals or high torque servos. I charge mine with an ancient Smart Charge "peak predict" charger at 500 mA. It's a shame that this peak predict thing didn't catch on but everyone uses lithium nowadays anyway.

The NiCd cells available to the RC hobby industry are mainly old surplus past their shelf life junk. There are ancient Eneloops being sold as well. NoBS is the only place I would buy NiMH or NiCD packs as they seem to be honest. The Sanyo 4/5 FAUP 1900 cells are good but not in cold weather - 40F.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:56 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The old Sanyo NiCad RX & TX batteries furnished with some of the Futaba radios seemed to last for more that a couple of years.
The shortcoming was the limited 600mah rating. The worst NiCad's I've had (short life) are those in tool battery packs.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:55 AM
spog1

They make great receiver packs for smaller planes. I ran 5 cell AAA packs in my .15 size 3D planes (Hitec HS65 analog servos) with great success. I used 5 cell packs for cold weather down to -15 C. Eneloops have excellent cold weather performance, but I use 5 cell because the pack voltage will be lower when cold.