Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

The ABSOLUTE best field charger!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

The ABSOLUTE best field charger!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: The ABSOLUTE best field charger!

Aero,

I am a current turbine waiver holder and have an eclectic fleet of airshow planes from park flyers on Lypoly, combat, speed planes, 3dmodels, giantscale gas, and turbine jets. I don't understand the logic of multi port charges that ultimately share the same source max potential, it still is going to take longer than just buying the single port and having max potential for quicker charging. I end up buying multiple charges to get the job done. I'm hoping a lower priced unit with 1 port and the advanced software of the Miniron's/schulze would come to market.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:52 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: c/f

Aero,

I am a current turbine waiver holder and have an eclectic fleet of airshow planes from park flyers on Lypoly, combat, speed planes, 3dmodels, giantscale gas, and turbine jets. I don't understand the logic of multi port charges that ultimately share the same source max potential, it still is going to take longer than just buying the single port and having max potential for quicker charging. I end up buying multiple charges to get the job done. I'm hoping a lower priced unit with 1 port and the advanced software of the Miniron's/schulze would come to market.
Good point, to each there own. Fact of the matter is a lot of people have been wanting a better charger then the Litco and we have it.

Roger
Old 01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Aero,

Since I have upt to 4 chargers going at one time off a 600AH Interstate gel cell battery, each charger capable of the 6 amps VDC on their own. Why is it noone will make a charger that gives the 6 amp potential to each port versus dividing it up? I meet alot of modelers with multiple high end chargers and the reasoning is rarely the fact that multi ports is needed.

What size input wire would be needed to get to a 20 amp input supply?

If the input were to be fused and then each output port individualy fuse protected again, it should be safe.

What component internally would drive the cost to make it cost prohibitive?

Every time a new multi port charger comes out I read the specs in anticipation that this would be the case but not to date. Since these high end chargers hit the market my wall chargers have been collecting dust.........
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: c/f

Aero,

Since I have upt to 4 chargers going at one time off a 600AH Interstate gel cell battery, each charger capable of the 6 amps VDC on their own. Why is it noone will make a charger that gives the 6 amp potential to each port versus dividing it up? I meet alot of modelers with multiple high end chargers and the reasoning is rarely the fact that multi ports is needed.

What size input wire would be needed to get to a 20 amp input supply?

If the input were to be fused and then each output port individualy fuse protected again, it should be safe.

What component internally would drive the cost to make it cost prohibitive?

Every time a new multi port charger comes out I read the specs in anticipation that this would be the case but not to date. Since these high end chargers hit the market my wall chargers have been collecting dust.........
When you start getting up in the capacity with multi output chargers , they get bigger and a lot more expensive.

The fact of the matter, for a charger manufacturer, its what the masses of modellers want that dictates what they will manufacture.

What you want is perfectly acceptable, but your in a minority as far as volume products are concerned. Some people are very willing to pay the high cost of these chargers, but most don't want that.

As I said before, something like the Miniron is exactly what a lot of people want. The capacity is plenty for most.

I first looked into this myself since I was using the Litco and had one output missing when I went flying. Now I have want I wanted with 5 outputs. And it seems like this is what a lot of people want since I can't get them here fast enough, they are usually sold out by the time the shipment arrives and not just in the States.

Roger