Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Are nicads history?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 06:55 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are nicads history?

Just had changed to all NiMH batteries sounds like maybe not a good idea!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:28 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Another good source for batteries. Is All-battery.com.

Just an idea: I know that there is a company that makes generators for small (40 size) and up, I think they are called Genesys. I wonder if this could be used to recharge the batteries or even eliminate the batteries? I don't know much about them, but it would be much like your car, in that a battery is only needed to start the engine and then the generator or nowadays the alternator does the rest. Has anyone out there had any experience with this product?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

I walk into my LHS yesterday to get a 1000 to 1500 ma nicad rec. pack,and the guy tells me all he carries are NMH....
All my chargers,and feild charger are for nicads....Im not switching years of investment.
Guess I'll have to build my own.
So, what gives?.....nicads thing of the past? Iam a dinosaur...LOL
any input appreciated
d
Yes!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Just an idea: I know that there is a company that makes generators for small (40 size) and up, I think they are called Genesys. 

I don't know if that's still available. IIRC, it was used on the model plane Maynard Hill used to cross the Atlantic in 2003. He used less than a gallon of gas in 38 hours, an amazing accomplishment! 

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_20045/anchors_20045/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#20045

Old 03-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: bchapman

I only use JR packs as well. Japan is known for good quality control. As I'm sure you know, Horizon has quite a few NiCAD transmitter and receiver packs available. I use some NiMh but still like the NiCADs. I've never used LiPos because of the fire hazard. I've seen a few that caught fire and don't want them in my model.
It would be interesting to know the country of origin for the cells in those JR packs. My bet would be somewhere other than Japan!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:11 AM
fly24-7

Since I haven't read a direct answer to the OP's question, I'll provide one. Cadmium is a hazardous substance. Batteries with Cadmium have already been outlawed for most all products in Europe. No one wants this stuff in landfils (recycling programs are not 100% effective). It will be a matter of time for legislation to be enacted in the US to outlaw it here as well.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 AM
bchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

I only use JR packs as well. Japan is known for good quality control. As I'm sure you know, Horizon has quite a few NiCAD transmitter and receiver packs available. I use some NiMh but still like the NiCADs. I've never used LiPos because of the fire hazard. I've seen a few that caught fire and don't want them in my model.
It would be interesting to know the country of origin for the cells in those JR packs. My bet would be somewhere other than Japan!
I'm sure they are Sanyo cells probably Made in China, like most everything else these days. However, I'm not as concerned with the cells themselves failing, but rather poor connections and solder joints used to make the pack. It could also be the quality of the parts and connectors they use or the method used to secure them and test after.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM
capt1597

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

high quality batteries with first class service http://electrodynam.com/store/RxBatt.html

the best field charger i have found http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...roducts_id=346

fly any plane all day and baby your batteries at the same time. just my 2cents capt
Old 03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The reason was that A123 was in financial trouble, and had production problems. Besides that the division of Yuasa that made the 787 batteries makes Mil Qual sub and space rated Li batteries.
A123 is now a Chinese owned company.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Back to RC aircraft batteries - -
The newer digital receivers and the digital servos, as well as electric retracts and other accessories place much higher current loads, and stricter voltage limits  on the batteries, compared to the older analog receivers and analog servos.
 Even a battery pack of 2000-2500ma NMIH batteries may not have enough capability to deliver the needed peak currents, without having a significant voltage drop under load.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

A123 is now a Chinese owned company.

The Chinese buyer is better employing American workers than many US companies:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2012/12/13/new-chinese-owner-has-american-roots/E5Pxs7EsocCsnJiVwyqFjN/story.html
Old 03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: hairy46

Just had changed to all NiMH batteries sounds like maybe not a good idea!
Not a good idea for sure.
I too am using nimhs in two planes right now due to my slow transitioning to the newer technologies.
If using nimhs monitor them very closely and cycle often. Be sure to do the form cycle with new nimhs with at least 3 complete charge/discharge cycles or maybe more.
Also, if you charged up last weekend and did not go fly due to weather or whatever DO NOT assume that since you didn't go fly that you are charged and ready to go. The self discharge on these can very and can get worse rather quickly so watch them like a hawk and if you question your charge state AT ALL, don't fly.
I now have a charger that is capable of the newer battery chemistries and will be going Life asap.

P.S. I did save a plane by following my own guide lines above and chosenot to fly the plane and replaced the battery. The battery was only two seasons old and the self discharge rate had increased drastically as well as its capacity.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
straitnickel

I certainly hope not, I just ordered two today , 2500 4.8 volts, taking out the LiFi and regulators. Call it going back to simple.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:02 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried to support the LHS but they wanted to convert me...they did...I got my balsa for my wheel pant fabrication at hobby lobby, as well as CA for half the price. Got my nicad  battery for 20 bucks online, got my paint online...oh well. I think the "new age" of RC is suffering, and will get worse as all the Arf and RTF folks get bored, and out of the hobby, and the builders and lifers die off. Sad times a little bit. Memories of club meetings at the LHS in the 60s, 70s, cannot be matched these days. Those times are dead it seems. Why do clubs have meetings at resturants? I have never been to a meeting in a resturant, and never will. What we gonna look at? waitresses?[X(]If I wanted to do that, I would be alone LMAO!
Just funnin,but its so true....around here anyway
Appreciate all the battery info, and great links fellas...big salute!

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 PM
stevekott

You will crash your plane if you use old NiCads. A123 or Life are the way to go. Dinosaurs are also extinct.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

ServoCity, SR Batteries, and several other places to buy NICD's. Let your fingers do the walking.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of the failure modes in Ni-Cd cells is shorting. While many things can contribute to shorting one of the significant contributors is cadmium migration through the separator where it forms a conductive bridge, ultimately shorting the cell
Cadmium migration is a function of the time the charge current is flowing through the battery and less a function of the level of current. Therefore we have found that high pulses of charge current to maintain the charge state are better than a steady low rate (trickle) current. This is very difficult to quantify as their are many other factors contributing to the life equation but improvements in battery life of 10 to 20 percent by pulse charging vs trickle are not unrealistic.
(Taken from Red Scholefields site) http://hangtimes.com/redsbatteryclinic.html Highly recommend you visit hangtimes site as there is so much mis-information regarding batteries and their proper charging and use. How many times have you heard after a crash "but I charged them last night" A123 cells are the superior technology, not just my opinion, and they are safer for the environment, when they go bad (years from now) you can toss them in the trash. Voltage is constant right to the end, almost 0 discharge in storage and most modern rado systems will handle them without any regulators or other junk to go wrong; KISS
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Clay Walters

I've seen a few that caught fire and don't want them in my model.

Check out LIFEPO4 or A123 batteries. While they are a type of LIPO to my knowledge they are not the fire hazard other LIPO chemistries are.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If one of the above post means 4.8 2500 Nimh are replacing life on a large model. Big mistake.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

I certainly hope not, I just ordered two today , 2500 4.8 volts, taking out the LiFi and regulators. Call it going back to simple.
Keep the Lifi and loose the regulators. That's simple.
4.8v??? I don't trust todays radios and their servos with only a 4.8v supply. Maybe you are using that for an ignition module, an old one.
Just my opinion of course.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I gotta call bull**** on the anti n9icad posts....sorry
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
straitnickel

I have a few years on nicad without problems, why complicate something that works?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
thepamster

I have nothing against nicads at all. I think they had their place in time and that time has now passed.
I do believe that  there are still some residences around the country that use rotary dial phones as well.
That time has passed for most of us as well.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:06 PM
thepamster

ORIGINAL: straitnickel

I have a few years on nicad without problems, why complicate something that works?
I think that's great. If it works for you I wouldn't change anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.