Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

New to lipos!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 PM
Navin1980

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to lipos!

Hey all,
I'm ordering a OFNA Ultra LX2E next week and need to get some lipo batterys and a charger too. Can anyone recommend good lipo batterys and charger to run this buggy that won't cost a fourtune! Also is there anything I need to know about lipo batterys as I have heard they can explode while charging!! Don't want that happening!!
Thanks!!

Old 04-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Navin1980

Default RE: New to lipos!

Or could I use two 7.4v NiMH batterys instead?
Old 04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
mikejrc2011
My Feedback: (3)

I've had good luck with Zippy and Turnegy lipo's. Recently purchased some cheap nano tech lipo's on fee bay called Winmax and Beast DNA. They seem OK so far. The nano packs do have higher c ratings and can charge faster. I use a Triton charger made by Great Planes and also a Patriot charger avalible only through Hobbytown USA. I do prefer the Patriot because it seems to charge faster. As far as exploding packs they are only dangerous when you overcharge them, short them, puncture or smash them in a crash. Lots of stuff about them on you tube also.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
mikejrc2011
My Feedback: (3)

You can use Nimh but won't get near the performance of lipo. Also The ESC needs to know what type of battery your gonna run so as to have proper cut off point. Lipo's can't be over discharged or it ruins them. Lipo packs will stay strong through the whole run as where nimh will get weak over the run. They lose voltage as soon as you start using them a lipo is the way to go.