Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo Won't Flame Up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:54 PM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipo Won't Flame Up!

Many of us have seen Lipo's go up in flames in crashes or when puctured. I had a 3 cell 2200 Lipo with one bad cell. The others were charged. I put it on my concrete driveway intending to puncture it and let it burn before disposing of it. I chopped holes all thru it with a crowbar. Got one wisp of smoke then nothing.

Glad I did not video it. Would have been very boring. Sure was expecting a show.

By the way, it's still laying on the concrete just in case!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipo Won't Flame Up!

mine didn't either,
Old 04-29-2013, 03:43 PM
rexbirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sons Lipo went up in spectacular fashion when his Pitts Python went in. I can't make one do anything except make a whimpy wisp of smoke? Do they only go off when no one is looking or when they will do serious damage?

This is in jest of course. I know they will flame up. I just have no luck getting them to. Maybe they are trying to lull me into not being careful and then they will strike.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:08 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

[8D] Hi Guys ,

The reason your Lipos won't flame up is a very simple one , your trying to ignite old , tired packs . In the example of your Son's plane , I'll bet he was flying a good condition pack that had lost none of it's efficiency before the crash . That Lipo was likely holding most of it's rated charge when it was so badly damaged in the crash as to have the stored power and chemical reaction happen . Thus you get the rapid , dramatic burning . No one usually takes a fairly new fully charged pack and puts a screwdriver through it , that would be just plain wastefull . But that's what it'll take if it's a mean Lipo fire your lookin to see .

I won't bore you with the standard warnings about fire and not breathing the smoke and such , we're all grown adults here who take our own chances and calculate the risks accordingly ....

( Says the guy who HAS set off a car's removed airbag module in the driveway just cause none of my friends or neighbors had ever seen one go off . They were kept at a safe distance , and a spectacular sight was enjoyed by all )

Be safe and have fun
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Take one of these batteries that has a good charge and pierce it with a nail .... and report back with your findings. They can be quite spectacular!

By contrast, an old worn out one with no charge won't do much but put out a bit of smoke at best.