Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Tremor Redcat ST Battery Connector

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Tremor Redcat ST Battery Connector

Old 05-14-2013, 10:35 AM
traced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tremor Redcat ST Battery Connector

Hello Everyone!

First and foremost - wonderful forum here! Everyone seems pleasant and the posts I've read have been extremely helpful! I was wondering if anyone knows what connector ships with the 1/16 Tremor ST from Redcat? I own the vehicle and it has been great - I am completely new to RC so it was a nice low cost truck for me to expirement with. I wanted to get off the stock Li-On battery (2s 850mah 7.4v) as the 15 minute run times just arn't enough. I've dug around and looked at all the different LiPo batteries - but I can't seem to find my matching connector! Apparently Redcat use to ship a red JST connector with this model, but has since changed and now they use this black winged connector. Looking around Google Images it appears it has a JST type SMP connector (Similar to the wire pictured here). My problem here is that I can't seem to find any batteries online that come pretipped with that connector. I sent a PM to a user from another thread who had swapped his battery, and he simply spliced the new batterys wire onto the original wire that lead to the connector, matching the positives and negatives. This is fine - as the alternative was to soder new connectors on - and god knows I don't know how to do that, so I feel a bit more compelled to twist some wire together and tape it back up. However before I butcher up some wiring I figured I'd ask you friendly folk on what I should do here. Can this connector be found on a decent 2s Lipo?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tremor Redcat ST Battery Connector

looks like the connector is only available from redcat itself.
If you can't solder take it to a hobby shop if they're nice they'll do it free, but they would most probably charge you. Don't twist the wires and tape up.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:05 PM
traced

In case anyone else runs into these connectors - they are an extremely common JST type connector that are typically used in LED lights. A quick search around Ebay (I searched JST connectors and they popped up) and you will find tons of them. I did find multiple names for the type of JST connector it was which made it somewhat confusing, They are listed as JST, JST type SMP, and JSTEL-2P. The name attached to the ones I bought was JST EL-2P . If the picture looks like yours, then its it cause the usual JST's are way different. They were change on the dollar and were pretipped on a 3 inch lead. The connectors look like they are crimp on/push on. Regardless, I used a soldering iron with a shrink tube to connect a pretipped line to a 2s Li-Po 1000 mah battery.I learned that simply taping up the wire will cause it to corrode over time so you really want to use a shrink tub/solder process.For someone like me who has never done that before- trust me whenI say it is easy and can be self taught.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cool. JST means japanese solderless technology. Why they're crimped, some crimping tools can be found for $20 some $200 depending on the crimp type.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM
Borgcustom

Originally Posted by traced
In case anyone else runs into these connectors - they are an extremely common JST type connector that are typically used in LED lights. A quick search around Ebay (I searched JST connectors and they popped up) and you will find tons of them. I did find multiple names for the type of JST connector it was which made it somewhat confusing, They are listed as JST, JST type SMP, and JSTEL-2P. The name attached to the ones I bought was JST EL-2P . If the picture looks like yours, then its it cause the usual JST's are way different. They were change on the dollar and were pretipped on a 3 inch lead. The connectors look like they are crimp on/push on. Regardless, I used a soldering iron with a shrink tube to connect a pretipped line to a 2s Li-Po 1000 mah battery.I learned that simply taping up the wire will cause it to corrode over time so you really want to use a shrink tub/solder process.For someone like me who has never done that before- trust me whenI say it is easy and can be self taught.
Sorry to bump an old thread, just wondering what battery you got to fit in the Tremor?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM
yugmus

The 2S lipos with the red JST connector like the old ESC and battery had will plug into the black one on the new ESC, just make sure you match up the polarities because you can plug it in backwards as the red connector's outside dimensions are smaller than the black connector's inside dimensions. The pins match up though.