Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

help with a crashed battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM
niche
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with a crashed battery

Hello
Yesterday in the flying field a friend of mine had a crash with his electric helicopter and the battery got some impact during the incident, please see the attached image
He was going to dispose the battery and then i asked hiom to give it to me, I am planning to use it in a Gas engine starter
Battery is a 6S 22.2 5000 mah which makes it perfect for my starter.
Friends tell that given the condition it is , is not adviceable to use it as the aluminum foil is damaged.
I would appreciate your feedback, I am not very knowledgable on these batteries.
Regards
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91756.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1885830  
Old 05-26-2013, 02:32 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: help with a crashed battery

The starter is not critical regarding keeping something in the air. The danger is burning your house and family down etc. Store and charge it outside. Keeping a well kept lipo next to any fuel (nitro let alone wood etc) is dangerous e.

Also balance charge it outside. Balance it because if a cell is bad and you charge as a 6cell it may over charge and go pop.

Do not keep this battery inside, even/especially a shed unless you have it in an old oven or concrete lined bunker etc.

Alternatively charge it up, get your camera ready short it and lost the video!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 03:31 PM
mikejrc2011
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: help with a crashed battery

The one cell thats got the foil open is the one you need to worry about. Someone who knows what they're doing with lipos can remove the one bad cell and turn it into a 5 cell pack. Balance lead will need changed.  18.5 volts is still more than enough power for a starter motor. I have bought 4 cell packs and turned them into two 2 cell packs by separating the pack and switching the balance leads. If you decide to pursue doing this you should watch some how to video's on youtube. Don't use the pack as it is. I always use the balance method to charge because you can't go wrong by overcharging cells this way. Lipo is a whole different ball game compared to NICAD or NIMH. Overcharging or shorting lipo cells can have very dangerous results. Check out this link.