Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

6v receiver pack

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 01:02 PM
fly dat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6v receiver pack

i'm looking for a good 6v receiver pack. I read about the sanyo eneloop packs does anybody here use them and where is a good place to buy them?not really looking for the cheapest battery but a good quality one.thanks
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: 6v receiver pack

Hello, read hangtime hobbies. Get whatever batteries you want from there.

Sanyo eneloop are not recommended for most receiver uses. Their amp output is not that great and might cause a receiver failure if the servos draw too many amps. Life is the best choice in my opinion, possibly a 2cell with a voltage regulator however this introduce a point of failure.

Either way reading hangtime hobbies will not do you any harm.

All the best

Old 07-16-2013, 08:15 PM
mehrshad

Tell more about your RC model.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Herbs_007

I have been using Sanyo enelopes for years and they are great and have never given me or my friends in the hobby any grief, they are certainly better than some NIMH's or nicads, just cost a little more. Life batts are fine and you can get 2 cell 6.6v 3000mah receiver packs that dont require a regulator. These can be sourced from Hobby King.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

As mehrshad said, if you have a small light trainer type plane with only three or four low torque servos that's one thing. If you have something larger, then, perhaps, a better pack from nobs/hangtime hobbies would be in order.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been using Sanyo Eneloops on three different .40/.60 sized planes with no problems. Four standard sized servos, 2000mah Eneloops. It is true that Eneloops have a slightly higher internal impedance than NiCads of similar size but not that much different. If you are truly worried about that and your plane can stand the extra weight, just parallel two packs as that will half the equivalent internal impedance and give you twice the mah capacity.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:06 PM
richrd

ORIGINAL: Rodney

I have been using Sanyo Eneloops on three different .40/.60 sized planes with no problems. Four standard sized servos, 2000mah Eneloops. It is true that Eneloops have a slightly higher internal impedance than NiCads of similar size but not that much different. If you are truly worried about that and your plane can stand the extra weight, just parallel two packs as that will half the equivalent internal impedance and give you twice the mah capacity.
+1

that's what I do in four planes 2 size 40 and 2 sixty size only one has parallel packs

so great to charge plane an weeks later grab an go typ recharge with about 530 mAH back ( 4 to 5 10 min flites )
Rich
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

A couple of things. 

1.  NiCd batteries have a graceful decline and can supply quick demands very well.  They also have a "memory" so need to be cycled every 30 or so flights, maybe every month if you fly a lot.  Charge slowly for longest life.
2.  NiMh batteries have a definite "knee" in their discharge curve and will under great load decline rapidly that can lead to brown outs of the receiver.  They do not develop memories and do not need to be cycled.  Charge slowly for longest life.  Need to go through several slow charge cycles and discharges to "form the battery."
3.  EELOOPE NiMh do not like to supply a lot of power (peaks) at one time.  Otherwise, they are just as good as normal NiMH. 

So I would recommend (a) use NiCds of 2000 milliampere hours capacity five cell (6V batteries) for your normal four or five servo set up airplane.
(b) if you use NiMh the get 2500 milliampere five cell (6V) batteries for your normal four or five serve set airplanes.  For Eeloope I would go up to a 2500 milliampere five cell (6V) battery and treat them like regular NiMh batteries.

I lost an airplane due to premature discharge of NiMh battery.  My fault.  Today I know better.  6 volt batteries are better than 4.8 volt batteries.  The standard 4.8, 600 milliampere battery is marginal at best in an airplane with four servos.  Yes, it will work and perform just fine for three maybe four flights, then it becomes marginal.  Larger batteries capacity batteries are able to deliver more power for longer times thus become much more reliable.  Capacity is measured in milliampere hours not the max or min voltage.

Good luck in Iran!
Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see some are still under the miss information of memory. When memory does occur, it can occur on both NiCad and NiMh. The good thing is that neither ever occur in the way we use them in our RC equipment. Now, there is such thing as voltage depression which occurs in both NiCad and NiMh. This is sometimes mistaken as a memory problem but technically is not. In most cases, any problems with voltage depression can be corrected by just giving the pack another forming charge. A forming charge is defined as charging at 0.1C for 16 hours. This applies to all Nixx type batteries.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Ernie Misner

A little off topic here but once you go to Life batteries you will not go back to Nimh's or nicads or eneloops for receiver use. Why? Because for the weight you get a tremendous amount more capacity. They are very user friendly, don't get hot, 2000 cycles, higher C rate and no brown outs. May as well embrace the modern technology. Yes, you will need a charger that can charge Life's. My 6 cell Nimh AAA packs for profiles weighed 4.5 and Life with twice the mah weigh just 2.5. Seems almost too good to be true. They charge a lot quicker too. Check out the 1300mah Life 6.6V pack from Tower for example. HK has great prices too.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 AM
Goldenduff

For the moment eneloop nimh sanyo are my preference for the transmitter. I would have to remove a life to charge. I would however like the ability life offers regarding a fast charge. However the sanyo eneloop lose charge so slowly that I either dont charge it at the end of a session or I put it on over night. Either way I never miss an opportunity due to transmitter battery.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:36 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Here's what i use in most of my planes - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130949104902 - cheap at about $9 a pack w/connector, cycled out slightly over rated capacity of 2200mah, 5 cell 6/v. I mainly fly 60/90/120 size planes. I like the life packs fine and may use them in the future, but other than saving an oz or two, I'm in no rush.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq45654.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	1903747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49065.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1903748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60935.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1903749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un34498.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1903750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41196.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	1903751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zq96631.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	1903752  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
Ernie Misner

All good points guys. I'm wondering why a Life battery would have to be removed from the tx to charge? To get at the balance plug perhaps but would not need to do that all the time.... My life (and everything else) charger has cords with a tx plug on one end.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 PM
Goldenduff

I would have to remove the back cover of the Tx, unplug the battery from the Tx (there is not enough space to fit a charge port). Over time this would losen the pins the battery connects to in the Tx.

I don't think I can "non-balance charge" through the Tx due to ?diodes. The Tx came with a nicd pack and charger and the eneloop nimh uses similar currents and charging algorithm. I think!

Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see the advantage of LiFe over Eneloops for a Tx pack. Eneloops seem to me to be the perfect solution for Tx. LiFe can be charged faster, but 2000mAh is far more than I need in one day at the field.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have converted all my airframes to LifePo4 and love them. I buy from here,  http://www.fromeco.org/ , even use there charger. All in all simple, easy, quick, and no removal of any battery.