Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Question about adding large milliamp battery to plane for extended flight

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Question about adding large milliamp battery to plane for extended flight

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM
jacads

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about adding large milliamp battery to plane for extended flight

I am looking to by this kit for my son for his 9th birthday. http://www.nitroplanes.com/at-21491-pc-9-rtf-24g.html The question I have is I wanted to get a larger Lipo battery for more flight time say around 20 minutes or so. here is the list of extra batteries http://www.nitroplanes.com/batteries.html since it comes with a 1300ma I was thinking of getting a 2200 ma or maybe a little larger. I have a couple of questions.

1. what does is mean at the end of the battery description when it has 20c, 25c etc...? If the motor is a 20A brushless do I use a 20C battery? Or does it not matter what I use?
2. is a 2200 ma battery pack a lot larger and maybe wouldn't fit or would it throw off the balance of the plane or make it heavy/clunky to fly?
3. I need to purchase a charger for this plane can someone recommend one that I could charge 2-4 battery packs on and possibly use in the future if I wanted larger battery packs for under $50 If not under $50 what would someone suggest?
4. Anyone see a problem getting this as a fist plane? Anything better to offer?

Thanks for the Help

Jacads
Old 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
mehrshad

first of all its not a good plane for beginning, its low wing its small and its scale. all mean its not a good beginner choice.
second RC flying need some simulator practice before real flying.I think a simulator would be a better gift!
1-20C mean you can drain up to 20X1300mA=26A or 20x2200mA=44A from it so highr C just mean better discharge performance under heavy loads.
2-maybe
3-check the hobbyking.com
4-go to the first line!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 PM
jacads

I did order the simulator package and will be using that prior to his birthday to get him some experience. This plane was listed under trainers so I was hoping it would be a good first start.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:36 PM
mehrshad

Look for a high wing trainer with>=120cm wing span. there are too many out there...
I think this is the worst trainer RC plane on the planet!
Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 PM
mehrshad

something like this if you prefer scale looking:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ctric-Airplane

But a brushless system will last and fly longer and a bit higher priced.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:06 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would disagree about the C rating it is really subjective and any claim above 15C is really doubtful. If you want some good battery information go here www.hangtimes.com A high wing trainer is what you want with a brushless motor and esc using a 3 cell 11.1 volt lipo battery in the 1500-3000 ma rating, expect 15 min of flight time with throttle management, it really is a long time to fly at one time. Stick with a name brand like Eflight or Flyzone so you can get replacement parts readily when you crash, and you will crash even with simulator practice. Better to shop here if you want good customer service before and after the sale www.towerhobbies.com or here www.horizonhobby.com Nitro and hobbyking are only for those who know what they are buying and are prepared to except the risk that they may not get what they expected, and know that replacement parts and customer service don't exist.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM
mehrshad

C rating maybe subjective but not for a trainer plane.
For a ducted fan plane or drag racer car and other heavily loaded application its very important...
you are saying 15min flight time and considering 80% depth of discharge, the average cuurent will be around 3C ,so its not that important here.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:23 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The usual problem with the lightweight (foamy's) is that a much larger battery, due to added weight, will cause the plane to fly poorly.
Even on a commonly available ARF trainer, which might weigh 5-7 pounds, changing to a larger (heavier) battery
will make a noticeable difference. (3300mah original, 4000mah replacement)
A saving grace is that many of the low cost RTF foamys have a battery that is smaller than might be supplied, due to cost.
I have a Spitfire that was supplied with such a battery. The manual mentions that a 2200mah battery (larger than original) may be used.
I'd weigh the original battery, and the plane with it installed to get an idea of the total to battery weight ratio.
Generally, 20 min flight time is difficult to reach, even with LIPO's unless you have a glider.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:43 PM
jacads

what does anyone think of this gas powered trainer? http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...m2-rtf-HAN4400
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a perfect example of a trainer. And for the best experience possible, go to a local club and hook up with an instructor. They will teach you how every aspect of an aircraft operates. They will also put you on what we call a buddy box. A buddy box is two transmitters connected together to operate the one aircraft. And the instructor has master control, therefore putting your aircraft at minimal risk of crashing and relieving you of the stresses of learning on your own.

Last edited by acerc; 08-22-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:18 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Alpha 40 is also available in an ARF version. I have one, and set it up with an electric motor and a 3300mah four cell lipo..
Instead of adding weight to get the CG on the money, I ended up moving the wing back about one inch, and added a faring in front of the wing.