Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

NiMH Discharging

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:03 PM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NiMH Discharging

I have a 4.8V 1450maH NiMH Rx battery (Sanyo cells) and I would like to know what is a safe voltage that I can discharge it down to? Also what is the recommended discharge rate?

Thanx, Mark
Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only reason for discharging a NiMh or NiCad is to check for capacity. If doing that, discharge at 1/3C or less down to 0.9 volts/cell while measuring mah's. If they are at 80% of rated capacity, they should be good for use in critical applications. Prior to checking for capacity, charge at 0.1C for at least 15 hours, no need to discharge prior to this charge as, at that charge rate, no damage will be done due to overcharge of any cell.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:28 AM
mark IX
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx, Rodney. I'll use those numbers. BTW, do know if this info is published anywhere? I looked on Sanyo's website and didn't see anything.

Thanx, Mark