Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Finally making the jump to LiFe batteries from Nixx

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Finally making the jump to LiFe batteries from Nixx

Old 03-20-2014, 10:58 PM
Mikecam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Star Charles
Thought I would follow up with final purchases and decisions. First off, thanks for all the advice from here - it really does help when selecting a system.

OK. I went with http://www.hangtimes.com. I picked the 6.6v 2500 mah battery for the receiver and the 6.6v 1100 mah battery for the ignition. Both packs have only the 20g 3-wire Combined Univ Balance and Power Feed connected to them. I changed both switches to the NoBS Ultra Switch II with the 20g Combo Input Connector. Although I was originally concerned about the size of the switches, I was surprised to find that with only a little increase in the width of the cutout, the new switches fit almost exactly. While I was ordering, I went ahead and ordered the FMA Multi-4 12v Field Charger.

Everything arrived last Friday, and I installed it today. I've got to say that I am really impressed with how everything fit into the aircraft with minimal modification. After installation, I charged the batteries. Again, I was a little skeptical of the FMA charger, but I don't know that I have ever used a charger that was easier to use.

Again, thanks for all the help from this forum.

Charley as I was reading through the posts and you wanting to charge thru the switch and then to have people tell you it is not a good idea, especially if they have never tried themselves to do it, I really thought it was going to end badly.
Boy was I happy to see this post. I started in the hobby in 2009 and that year emailed Steve from hangtime and he really answered my questions even though I was probably the 1000 guy to ask them. I had no trepidation to order from him and since I was still new in the hobby didn't have any preconceived notions about what was the best. What I did want was the most simple, and with your setup which is the exact setup I have been using since 2009, going on 6 years this year, I got simple.
The switch you bought is one of, if not the best switch you can get. It is made by electro dynamics and one day in 2010 or 2011 I had the chance to check out a big jet owned by a gentleman that has competed for many years at the jet world masters. Guess what I found in his jets, yup, ED switches and I asked him and he said he would not use any other switch, I realized at that time I had picked the right switch. You have to remember that by added lights and other gimmicks it takes away from the space needed for a nice and robust switch.
The FMA multi4 charger has worked great for me, so great I now own 4 of them. If you haven't yet, get the cord to hook up to the computer and hide the screens you don't use, it makes using the 4 even easier, sounds impossible I know.
I charge at 3 amps(if the battery can take it) because that is the limit for the connector and charge lead of the charger, after 5 years no problems.
I bought Hangtimes A123 2300 mAh packs and will still use them in my Yak this year. That will be 6 years of service with over 300 charges and although they don't have the 2230 mAh capacity when I first got them they both put out just over 2000 mAh just last week, and still balanced, not bad for 6 year old RC batterys.
In my sport planes and even 1/5 and 1/4 scale warbirds I use two of the HK 2500 mAh life packs and after 4 years no issues. I cut the balance lead off and add a futaba pin to the white wire and install it with the red and black wires in the power lead. Allows for simple balance charging through the switch. For hard 3D stick to true A123 and not prismatic cell lifepo4.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html Don't let the picture fool you, for 3 years they have been coming with the JR/Futaba lead. I put two in every plane.

Nice to see you, 6 years later come up with the same combo I did after some thorough research. Enjoy your setup and all the best in the upcoming flying season.

http://www.electrodynam.com/rc/usw/index.shtml
Old 03-21-2014, 10:03 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, Mike --- It's good to know that your equipment has been reliable. After all, reliability is probably the most important part of maintaining a fleet of planes. You are right, the FMA Multi4 charger has to be the simplest, easiest to use charger I have ever had. I've already been considering ordering more of them. Thanks for the advice about the interface module, I'll get one the next time I place an order to Steve.

I did miss seeing the light on the switch. I just like to be able to look from a distance and be assured that the power is on or off, especially the ignition. In order to solve that, I went to Radio Shack and picked up a 5 pack of 5mm red LEDs and holders for about $5, I also ordered some 20ma current limiters from http://www.hansenhobbies.com/product...g/electronics/. Once soldered up, I installed the LED next to the switch and plugged it into the power harness. Viola! Lights on when switch is on.

I do like this setup and so far, I haven't seen anything I like better. I will probably convert all my stuff to this arrangement over the next few years.

Thanks for your comments
Charles
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 AM
lean-run

Hi there,
Have been using LiFe batts in Tx for a while.
My question regards these as for Rx pack for gas models.
Does the 6.6v need to go thru a ubec or straight into Rx?
I guess they drop back from 6.6 fairly quickly and its the servos more than the Rx itself
that need to handle the voltage.
Still finding my way around the forums, hope this isn't wrong place to post.
Thanks for help.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:41 AM
Lone Star Charles

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lean-run -- I use a Futaba R517FS receiver and various Futaba and HiTec servos on the 95cc gas installation described above. I have not had any problems with the 6.6v output from the 123LiFe batteries. The ignition is a CH unit and has not displayed any problems either. If your equipment is recently manufactured, I suspect you will be alright as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
lean-run

Thanks Lone Star Charles,
This was one of attractions I was hoping for using LiFe batts. Any part that can be omitted in the chain of power supply is one less for Murphy's Law. Also like they are more "user friendly" as regard use and storage.
Was going to stick with li-po and bec for ignition, but now will keep dedicated twin power supplies both with LiFe. (Had not thought about ignition side)

Thanks again for input.