Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Multiple batteries in to 1 receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Multiple batteries in to 1 receiver

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 AM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Multiple batteries in to 1 receiver

I am going to have up to 3 lipo batteries plugged in to my Hitec receiver, VQ Pilatus Porter. One for the electric motor, one for the radio itself, and one for the noise maker. Can I plug them all in to my receiver and be certain it won't blow it up? They will all be 4.8 or 6 volts by the time it gets to the receiver.
thank You in advance.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Checklst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should not be a problem as long as all the Batts are of the same voltage,and it does not exceed the voltage of the receiver. When you say one for the electric motor you mean the connection of the batt through the EMC...... the emc is connected to the receiver?
Old 01-31-2014, 09:58 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be paralleling the batteries within the RX.

If they are not all the same voltages when you plug them in you may have a significant discharge from a higher voltage battery into a lower voltage battery which could be enough to fry something in your RX.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:18 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like this is your first electric plane.
The LiPo for the motor plugs into the ESC(electronic speed control) and typically for smaller electrics the ESC powers the receiver via the red wire and is either 4.8 or 6 volts (internal BEC). Some ESC's do not have a regulator built-in )opto ESC)and if so there will be no voltage on the red wire. Only you know what type of ESC you have.
If you want to use a separate LiPo pack for the receiver that's fine but you need to use a regulator to drop the voltage to 4.8 or 6 volts unless the receiver and servos can handle 8+ volts . Also when using a separate battery for the receiver you need to disable the regulator on the ESC so it is not trying to power the receiver at the same time. You accomplish this by removing the red wire from the ESC receiver plug, You can experience problems with an internal BEC/ ESC and a separate battery on the receiver.
I don't know what the "noise maker" actually is but I will assume it is controlled by the receiver to turn it on and off by the transmitter. It also can be powered by the receiver voltage so it's hard to tell what you have. If it's powered by a separate battery then chances are it only requires signal and ground from the receiver so it shouldn't be sending voltage to the receiver.