Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

LiPo Cell imbalance- PLEASE HELP!

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

LiPo Cell imbalance- PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 09:44 AM
goodatthis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo Cell imbalance- PLEASE HELP!

So I was charging my 5300mah 35C 2S Lipo from storage mode (I put it in storage mode after every use) and I unplugged the regular connector, and it took a bit of force, and I saw that the balance board wasn't connected the charger, and I'm not sure whether it happened when I unplugged the battery or before I started charging. I looked at the cell charge levels, and it said that the 1st cell was at 2.x volts, and the 2nd was at 4.2. I immediately got scared, thinking my battery was going to blow up, even though there wasn't any bloating or heat. I started storage charging the battery with my Dynamite passport UltraForce, and I have been feeling the battery to see if it is bloating or not. So what should I do?

TL;DR:

lipo cells might be imbalanced, might not. Put it in storage mode, will that help? How to rebalance cells/ what's going to happen with this battery?
Old 03-23-2014, 03:29 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The strangeness is that the first cell is below storage level, supposedly where you started from.
That aside, I'd double check the first cell with a DVM and go from there.
It might be necessary to attempt to charge the low cell individually at a current lower than you would use for a 5300mah battery.
Possibilities include poor balance connections, etc. or a malfunctioning charger balance circuit.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:39 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like one of the balance wires came loose either at the top of the pack or at the balance plug pin after the battery was jerked away from the charger. Double check as mentioned by using a multimeter or a plug-in balance meter.
The header connector in the charger could also be damaged(long shot) but to rule it out, just take another pack and make sure it balance charges OK.