Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

3S, 4S Lipo Batteries and Charger

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

3S, 4S Lipo Batteries and Charger

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 06:29 PM
superchargedill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3S, 4S Lipo Batteries and Charger

Hi Guys,
I've been flying nitro for years, however I'm relatively new to electric flight and taking in as much as I can. I just have a few questions at this point. I don't have $$$ burning a hole in my pocket but I don't want a sub standard cheapo no service deal either.

Where is the best place to buy a balance charger that provides good service ?

What is a good balance charger that will charge 2 batteries at once ?

Where is the best place to buy 3S and 4S Lipo batteries ?

The plane I bought requires a 4S 14.8v 3600mAh 40C battery and has a 70amp ESC. Is there any disadvantage to going to a 20C, 30C or 50C ?

Thanks, Dil
Old 03-24-2014, 09:58 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Depends on what you're after.

http://www.progressiverc.com/charger...gers/ichargers I have a dual channel icharger, they are nice.

Hyperion Duo's are good too.

As for packs, they are all over the map as far as price and quality.

I personally use AGA Power, Thunder Power and Turnigy all with good results
Old 03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I've been flying nitro for years, however I'm relatively new to electric flight and taking in as much as I can. I just have a few questions at this point. I don't have $$$ burning a hole in my pocket but I don't want a sub standard cheapo no service deal either."

"Where is the best place to buy a balance charger that provides good service ? "
I'd Recommend RC Accessory

"What is a good balance charger that will charge 2 batteries at once ?"
With proper balance adapters, most of the chargers are capable of charging two
batteries in parallel. Series is also possible with the correct adapters.
The disadvantage of parallel charging is more current vs. serial charging.
The advantage is a less complex adapter configuration, due the balance
wiring (parallel) on a parallel adapter.

"Where is the best place to buy 3S and 4S Lipo batteries ? To my knowledge there is no single "best place"."
It seems more to be based upon the mfr and warranty terms.

"The plane I bought requires a 4S 14.8v 3600mAh 40C battery and has a 70amp ESC. Is there any disadvantage to going to a 20C, 30C or 50C ? "
Assuming the maximum current draw is 70A, any of the three should work. The higher C rated batteries might be slightly heavier and bulkier than the lower rated ones.
Because of various things, the 40 or 50 C might be able to deliver slightly more voltage at a given flight current, due to lower IR and heavier wiring/connectors.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Donwebster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C ratings figure directly relates to how much current (in Amps) a battery can safely deliver. The important thing to remember about C rating, aside from the way it is calculated, which we will get to in a minute, is that it may be provided as one or two figures, 'sustained' (or continuous) and 'burst' (or peak). figure directly relates to how much current (in Amps) a battery can safely deliver. The important thing to remember about C rating, aside from the way it is calculated, which we will get to in a minute, is that it may be provided as one or two figures, 'sustained' (or continuous) and 'burst' (or peak).

iMax B6 can charge 2-6cells of lipo at the same time, you can get it from FocalRC.com, following is the link: http://www.focalrc.com/imax-b6-2-6-c...on-p10120.html
Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Actually, the important thing to remember about C ratings is they generally range from optimistic to fantasy