Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Need a dependable power source in the middle of no where... help?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Need a dependable power source in the middle of no where... help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
fosdick541

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a dependable power source in the middle of no where... help?

Okay, so im trying to establish a RC off road race track... which happens to have absolutely no access to power. I don't see a successful future for this track if I cant provide a power source for drivers to charge batteries and possibly a need for a little more.

I'd rough estimate 7 to 8 independent chargers running simultaneously.

Mine happens to be a HiTEC multi charger x1 ACplus. Ac input 100-240v (60-65w)/DC 11-18v. Circuit power: 50W and charging current is 0.1-6.0A.

My highest settings is usually 5000mAh 2C 3C charge rate at 7.4v

Now... the obvious go to, I would think, is a high output gas generator. The problem is, it would need constant refueling and that's difficult with 0 funding.

Are there any setups or configurations in solar power? I would assume a storage bank of some kind would be ideal. But how big and what would be its efficiency?

Is it possible for a system to support a battery bank large enough to be used for a 5-6 hour period with my currently charger and battery type running constantly along side 6 more just like mine? What kind of replenish time would be needed to refill a bank the size of what would be need to accommodate that kind of need? Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the location is high altitude, 4400 ft, in land less than but close to 400 mls from west cost with a high average of clear skies for above average length of a summer season

P.s. costs of a self sustainable solar power system can be offset or acquired through grants as well as energy efficient payback programs. Which a small towns Parks and Rec department could be perfect candidate for.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:59 AM
ghostofpf1

I occasionally run oval at a renegade track that has no power and charge my batteries the night before and top them off before a race from my cars main 12v battery.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about a wind generator, coupled with storage batteries and solar panels?
There are some alternator wind generators that are intended for private residence
use that might work.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:14 PM
fosdick541

Our wind conditions arent exactly what some would call a good enviroment for those. I thought about a turbine but no open accesable canals near by.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:30 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Solar makes the best sense for your application. You'd likely be talking about big bucks for a solar array that can supply the kind of amps you'll be using at a race, so the real limiting factor will be the lead acid deep cycle batteries. They will charge all day every day and then your chargers will run off of them. Your biggest problem will likely be keeping the equipment safe though. Those batteries in particular aren't cheap, and every fisherman and many RV'ers use them.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

At our club we have no power. Most of the guys that fly electric just charge using their cars. I know some will say that's bad , but so far it has seems to work. We are a club of over 200 members.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 PM
rowdy3128

I have a jump box looking box with a handle...it has two ele plugs it with run my 15min quick charger & a small radio for hours..........payed less than $50.00
Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 AM
jester_s1

If you're talking about only running planned races and such, it would be inexpensive and workable to just have a deep cycle battery and keep it at home on a cheap float charger. The only drawback would be having to bring it with you every time it would be needed at the field.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 PM
RdavisAMA

Would it be completely out of the question to have 1 or 2 small generators on site during events or weekends? My power supplies can put out 12-36 Volts up to 1690 Watts off of one 15 Amp outlet... Or connect a PDU so multiple 12 Volt power supplies can be plugged in at once. Just a thought ~ let the flaming begin :-/
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=975625
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 AM
jester_s1

If he's gonna do that he might as well just pop the hood of his vehicle and run it a little during charging to keep the car battery from being drawn down too much.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 AM
RdavisAMA

jester, I agree- if he is just charging his own packs, but I was under the impression he was looking to provide a solution or (service) for several people to connect 7 or more chargers at the same time during events etc...
Maybe the OP will chime in here....
Old 04-27-2014, 02:51 PM
jester_s1

I assume all of those drivers come to the remote flying site in their vehicles, right?
Old 04-29-2014, 01:00 PM
RdavisAMA

I'm not sure if that last message was rhetorical, but it seems to me that the whole point from the beginning was that [He] would like to offer or provide power for the visitors/participants at the events- not make them find their own solution. After all, we don't bring a popcorn popper to the movie theater, right?