Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

how t make a car bub lipo discharge the right way or not

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

how t make a car bub lipo discharge the right way or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how t make a car bub lipo discharge the right way or not

Hi can I put my car bulbs 1157 in series instead of parallel , maybe use about 2 or 3 bulbs instead of 10 in series? any suggestions will help
Old 04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by suzonka
Hi can I put my car bulbs 1157 in series instead of parallel , maybe use about 2 or 3 bulbs instead of 10 in series? any suggestions will help
The number and arrangement of the bulbs is dependent upon the Lipo voltage and desired current.
Assuming a three or four cell lipo, Bulbs in parallel to get the desired current is correct.
Higher voltage lipos may require a combination of series and parallel to get the job done.
Don't forget to use a cell checker or DVM to monitor cell voltages.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 AM
suzonka

Originally Posted by chuckk2
The number and arrangement of the bulbs is dependent upon the Lipo voltage and desired current.
Assuming a three or four cell lipo, Bulbs in parallel to get the desired current is correct.
Higher voltage lipos may require a combination of series and parallel to get the job done.
Don't forget to use a cell checker or DVM to monitor cell voltages.

So if I use 2 1157 car bulbs and arrange them in parallel I will have the most current draw to discharge my 3S 2200 Lipo pack .correct me if i'm wrong and most of all- thank you for your hellp
Old 04-26-2014, 03:44 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same size batteries. 3s 2200 mah. I use 3. 1157 bulbs in parallel. Takes about 20 min. To discharge a fully charged battery. Just make sure you monitor the discharge process. If you forget what you are doing you will be buying more batteries.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:01 PM
suzonka

Originally Posted by tacx
I have the same size batteries. 3s 2200 mah. I use 3. 1157 bulbs in parallel. Takes about 20 min. To discharge a fully charged battery. Just make sure you monitor the discharge process. If you forget what you are doing you will be buying more batteries.
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

that sounds great and you even gave me a time frame for the discharge 20 minutes .thank you for you rhelp
Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM
tacx

Just beware of over discharging.

Couple things you can do.

1. Connect a watt meter between the battery and the bulbs so you can easily monitor the voltage.

2. I use a small timer ( and keep it with me, clipped on myself ) and set it for 10 minute intervals. When it goes off I check the voltage with either a battery checker, a multi meter, or the watt meter. After several discharges you will get a feel for the timing of the bulbs discharge rate.

Using the timer is important because it is very easy to get distracted and forget about your battery. Ask me how I know ! LOL.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:22 AM
suzonka

Originally Posted by tacx
Just beware of over discharging.

Couple things you can do.

1. Connect a watt meter between the battery and the bulbs so you can easily monitor the voltage.

2. I use a small timer ( and keep it with me, clipped on myself ) and set it for 10 minute intervals. When it goes off I check the voltage with either a battery checker, a multi meter, or the watt meter. After several discharges you will get a feel for the timing of the bulbs discharge rate.

Using the timer is important because it is very easy to get distracted and forget about your battery. Ask me how I know ! LOL.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

gee thanks for that timer idea, and I hooked up the 2 bulbs in series and noted that they are very Dim . so wuld it be better to hook them in parallel to draw more watts or amps per say ? thank you so much
Old 04-27-2014, 10:27 AM
tacx

Technically, either way, series or parallel, will discharge the battery. But, in parallel each bulb is receving a full voltage from the battery. In series each bulb is sharing the voltage between them. So, if you have three bulbs in series each bulb is only getting 4 volts with a 12 volt battery. Thats why they are dim. Consiquently, the three in parallel will draw more amps and wattage.

For example I just did a test with a already discharged 11.1 volt battery and three bulbs.

In parallel the three bulbs drew 4.8 amps and 53 watts at 10.6 volts ( the volts are 10.6 because of the voltage sage during the test. )

In series the three bulbs drew only 0.8 amp and 10 watts at 11.3 volts.

So you can see that parellel is a better set up.

Parellel is also better because if one of the bulbs burns out, your harness can still be used because the other bulbs are not effected. If you have them connected in series and one bulb goes bad then they all will stop working. Sort of like the old christmas lights.

Hope this helps

Tom

Last edited by tacx; 04-27-2014 at 10:31 AM.