Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Puffed up LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 04:42 AM
enggricha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Puffed up LiPo

Probably this question has been asked here before, but I couldnt find it. One of my LiPos puffs up a little bit when charging but then becomes normal when used and discharging. I am sure its not the charger, because I am using the same charger with another LiPo.

The LiPo in question is a new one and has been used only 4 times. Is it safe to use this, and if so do i have to do any thing to get to be normal?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:28 AM
aymodeler
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no expert, but puffed lipos scare me as that indicates that something has gone wrong in way to damage the structure of the battery (could even have been a manufacturing defect). I know some guys can get over-zealous with lipo safety, and I definitely do NOT consider myself to be in that category, but I do treat them with respect.

My inclination would be to dispose of it, but if you do continue to use it, I would make sure to both charge and store it outdoors in a fire-safe container.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:06 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Puffed up a "little" covers a lot of ground!
If the Lipo is a small inexpensive one, I'd likely dispose of it, rather than risk an expensive model.
On the other hand, some of the "cheap" small lipos seem to be prone to doing this, and while it's an indication
of possible problems, seem to continue to function. Perhaps not as well or long, but adequately.
It's the old risk/reward bit.
I and others have used "lightly" puffed lipos without problems. Most of the time, we get away with it.
Occasionally, the results may be spectacular!
Old 05-28-2014, 06:28 AM
enggricha

Originally Posted by chuckk2
Puffed up a "little" covers a lot of ground!
If the Lipo is a small inexpensive one, I'd likely dispose of it, rather than risk an expensive model.
On the other hand, some of the "cheap" small lipos seem to be prone to doing this, and while it's an indication
of possible problems, seem to continue to function. Perhaps not as well or long, but adequately.
It's the old risk/reward bit.
I and others have used "lightly" puffed lipos without problems. Most of the time, we get away with it.
Occasionally, the results may be spectacular!
Thanks for that i guess mine would also be in the "lightly" puffed category...will continue to use it with caution.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:16 PM
ReMiXeDg

I wouldn't use any Lipo that shows any signs that it's damaged or not especially if it's a puffed up Lipo it means something has gone wrong with the chemicals inside and worst can occur if it isn't treated the right way which the only right way for me would be to dispose it and just suck it up and purchase a new Lipo. You don't want to lose a $1000 item for a $50 Lipo or even less. No insurance these days on Rc cars .
Old 05-28-2014, 04:29 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need more info.
What brand lipo, how may cells, and what milliamp rating ?
What brand and model charger are you using?
What "C: rating are you charging at or what amperage setting are you using?
A lipo that swells when charged typically means it's being charged too quickly with too high a "C" rating or amperage. .
Old 06-14-2014, 01:41 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Got a few puffy ones myself. How are you guys disposing of them? Also, how are you supposed to legally dispose of them?

David
Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM
ReMiXeDg

David you need to fully discharge them there are a number of ways to do so. Search online for ways to discharge a Lipo fully. Some people wire a bulb others just leave it plugged into an old esc. Once a Lipo it's fully discharged all the chemicals inside will be safe to dispose in the garbage can
Old 06-15-2014, 07:12 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Re. Will do it that way.

david