Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

been out of hobby a while, some questions

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

been out of hobby a while, some questions

Old 06-21-2014, 01:24 PM
cat5752
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default been out of hobby a while, some questions

Did the search, but majority of posts on here are about Lipos. I fly planes, and have been away for about 10 years. I need to replace my flight pack batteries. These are JR 4.8V 1100Mah flat four AA size packs. All that I had was NiCd when I got out. I have a Triton charger that will do NiCd, NiMh Lipo and a bunch of other things. My question to you all is what would be the benefit of NiMh over NiCd flight packs? I notice that most NiMh packs are in the 2500Mah range. Will this effect my JR servos (NES 527s)? I am still running 72 - I have a DX6I but it is for my only heli. Would appreciate any advice you all can give me, thanks.
Andy
Old 06-21-2014, 02:20 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NiMh are more common now however there are places where you can still buy NiCd packs if you want to stay NiCd. Benefits would be cost and availability. You will be hard-pressed to find a local hobby shop that stocks NiCd packs.
The miliamp rating won't affect servos as that rating determines how much "juice" the packs can supply over time (sort of like how much gas is in the tank). The higher the milliamp rating the more "gas" you have in the tank.
The voltage can affect some older servos and receivers typically if you run a 5-cell (6 volt) receiver pack. If you run 4-cell packs (4,8 volts) you will be OK.
Here are some places for NiCd packs:
http://www.srbatteries.com/rxpks.htm
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Re...iCad-Packs-462

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 06-21-2014 at 03:02 PM.