Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Help - Trying to charge glow igniter with Accu-Cycle Elite

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Help - Trying to charge glow igniter with Accu-Cycle Elite

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:10 AM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Trying to charge glow igniter with Accu-Cycle Elite

I recently replaced my glow igniter and am in the process of doing the forming charge. Being that my new igniter is using a sub-C 3800mah Nimh battery, I figured I should charge using my accu-cycle elite instead of the old wall wart which only puts out 150mah(Ive always only used the wall wart for the igniter in the past).

Ive got the settings correct in the Accu-cycle, however when I start the charge it tells me that the battery voltage is too high. Why is it telling me this. Being that its a single cell the charger is set at 1.2V - yet reads the battery as having voltage anywhere from 11-15volts or so (it fluctuates as I read the display).

Can anyone explain why this would be and how to solve the problem?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:59 AM
aghost
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't seen that problem with my A-C Elite. I use it on my glow ignitor and various other single cell batteries quite often.

Looks to me it can be the battery, the connector, or the charger. Try doing some tests to eliminate one or more of these items. Such as:
Test the battery with a voltage meter,
Try charging a different single cell glow ignitor using the same connector.
Try charging a different single cell battery with a different connector.
etc.

good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:37 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

If its a formation charge you're after, you're better off slow charging it with the wall wart, the ACE will time out.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hook your batery up and do a discharge first - maybe for 15 to 30 minutes at 1 to 1.5 amps. Then try to charge it. I have had the same problem as you describe as some of the new batteries drift high as they trickle.