Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

cheapbatterypacks.com quality sucks

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

cheapbatterypacks.com quality sucks

Old 08-05-2014, 03:33 AM
JohnFH
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cheapbatterypacks.com quality sucks

Placed an order, received a damaged pack in the mail, this is how it came out of the bubble wrap. They do not answer the phone or reply to emails in 2 hours as they claim, or even 24 hours.

Don't waste your money and risk getting garbage they won't support.

I see a problem with this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2020176  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

So what? In shipment, it may have burnt the wrap due to humidity in the package (mostly caused by the shipping company).
Old 08-05-2014, 07:36 PM
SeaJay

I have ordered 4 packs from them and have had no problems at all.. About 2 years ago I ordered one 8 cell Tx pack, and three 4 cell Rx packs. all came to me in great condition, and all are still in use today! all still over 85% rated capacity!

Personally, I would order from them again!

P.S. I have also ordered 5 cell Rx packs from Onlybatterypacks.com and they gave me great service too! I wouldn't hesitate to order from either of these companies again!

Craig.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:49 AM
JohnFH

Glad you had good luck, I didn't.

The solder joints are sloppy and dirty, and the lead wires are run in a way that they can wear and short.

Take your chances if you like, I won't waste my time or money on a 50/50 chance I might get a quailty product.

I took a risk with a new company and they failed. Still waiting to see how customer service works.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

The company name should have tipped you off.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:45 PM
JohnFH

They are an advertiser on another site, so I gave them a chance.

Big mistake, after receiving an email stating they would provide a full refund, I returned the packs, the post office is returning them to me as undeliverable, so the company address is bogus too.

so cheapbatterypacks.com is just another scammer.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 AM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tacx
The company name should have tipped you off.
Glad i wasn't the only one thinking that.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:47 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

So what? In shipment, it may have burnt the wrap due to humidity in the package (mostly caused by the shipping company).
Uh, no.
How would humidity cause that?

Looks like a poor/dirty solder joint, and shrink wrap was obviously applied while the solder was hot.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:03 PM
JohnFH

I can understand the lack of quality now, Cheapbatterypacks.com manufacturing facility is a 3 bedroom house in OR, zoned residential and has no license to run the business as required by the town.

The town was pretty upset when I contacted them about the business license that Mike failed to provide as required by law.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:41 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W
Originally Posted by JohnFH
I can understand the lack of quality now, Cheapbatterypacks.com manufacturing facility is a 3 bedroom house in OR, zoned residential and has no license to run the business as required by the town.

The town was pretty upset when I contacted them about the business license that Mike failed to provide as required by law.
Would a business license help?
Old 09-18-2014, 05:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by eddieC
Uh, no.
How would humidity cause that?

Looks like a poor/dirty solder joint, and shrink wrap was obviously applied while the solder was hot.
Thank You Eddie , when I read that nonsense about humidity my eyes rolled and I hoped I wasn't the only one who noticed that completely out there answer !

As you say , the shrink was either put on with the solder still too hot , or the only other possibility I could think of would be if the pack had been subject to a brief high current drawn from it , that heated what may have been a poor solder joint to begin with and melted the shrink .

To the OP , does the pack provide voltage or is it open circuit ? If it puts out no power , someone into making their own packs (like I was for some time) could easily resolder that and likely have a workable pack . Or just recycle it if ya don't feel comfortable with a "Frankenpack" , your call ....
Old 09-18-2014, 06:09 AM
JohnFH

The pack is 0 volts, the damage was caused by an impact to the battery pack, crushing and cutting the wire over the contact. It was then wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped out. That is how I found it when I unwrapped it.

Yes the solder joints are poor quality and dirty as well, and on the other pack (I ordered 2 identical) the lead wire was run over a dirty sloppy solder joint and the heat shrinked on top of it.

The packs were returned, Mike promised a full refund, still waiting for that.

I ended up ordering replacement cells from a local company and made my own packs. Mike is an advertiser on another RC site, and I like to support companies that support the hobby when I can, in this case cheapbatterypacks.com is just a poorly run basement business.

And would it matter if Mike had properly set up the business with the proper licenses? Probably not, but I think his neighboors deserve to know there is a potentially very dangerous manufacturing facility being run in a residential home. If there is a fire(he sells LiPo too) how many toxic fumes will be released? And now you have a fire dept. responding to a "residential" fire when they should be preparing for something much different.

I'm all for home business and helping out the little guy, as long as that guy isn't endangering lives.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 PM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I know I am late to the party but I was looking for something on chargers and saw this thread and it caught my interest. Too bad.

Originally Posted by JohnFH
The pack is 0 volts, the damage was caused by an impact to the battery pack, crushing and cutting the wire over the contact. It was then wrapped in bubble wrap and shipped out. That is how I found it when I unwrapped it.

Yes the solder joints are poor quality and dirty as well, and on the other pack (I ordered 2 identical) the lead wire was run over a dirty sloppy solder joint and the heat shrinked on top of it.

The packs were returned, Mike promised a full refund, still waiting for that.

I ended up ordering replacement cells from a local company and made my own packs. Mike is an advertiser on another RC site, and I like to support companies that support the hobby when I can, in this case cheapbatterypacks.com is just a poorly run basement business.

And would it matter if Mike had properly set up the business with the proper licenses? Probably not, but I think his neighboors deserve to know there is a potentially very dangerous manufacturing facility being run in a residential home. If there is a fire(he sells LiPo too) how many toxic fumes will be released? And now you have a fire dept. responding to a "residential" fire when they should be preparing for something much different.

I'm all for home business and helping out the little guy, as long as that guy isn't endangering lives
It seems that the above colored statements are only true if you are a very happy camper and if you are not your own pervious posts strongly suggest you will go well out of your way to create or cause trouble for the vendor. I understand anger, but in MNSHO you went way over the top sir. Way over. Difficult to say you support any in a hobby business with that approach.

As far as the poor workmanship is concerned, if you NEVER did a half baked job that would be a valid reason to take all of your business elsewhere without even trying to get the problem corrected. However doing so before even giving the vendor the chance to correct the problem in a time frame not measured in nanoseconds does suggest things and seems a bit unreasonable.

No, I am far from perfect but understand that. You might consider climbing down here to Earth with the rest of us humans. Or not.