Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool New Lithium battery tech developed by Colorado S.U.

So, what is our collective "issue" with Lipo batteries?
    o Never enough run-time,
    o Takes an hour or more to recharge from flat.
    o They burst into flame if physically damaged (like a screwdriver through the case)

Now imagine a battery that will run for TWO HOURS on a charge, and charge up again in maybe TEN MINUTES?
    AND it will NEVER catch fire because the electrolyte is non-flamable and the entire battery AND manufacturing process is Non-Toxic!?

Well check this out, guys. That day may be here sooner than later. I just read about this in Popular Mechanics and looked 'em up on the web.
    Here's a page from their website that describes the new 3D design technology and its benefits: 5-Times the power density, and much faster charging.
    http://prietobattery.com/how-it-works/foam/

Of course it's going to take time for this tech to trickle down to RC, if it ever does. But this will really help the real electric vehicle market.
    Elon Musk (Tesla Motors) should take a look at these guys, before he invests billions in his Megafactory, to make 500,000 Li-Ion batteries a week.
    That's the problem with 1:1 electrics, run to the store, charge the car for HOURS, instead of a few minutes. American ingenueity is not dead!
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Innovations in battery technology have been just over the horizon for longer than I've been alive.
    The challenge is always the weight/capacity/size combination vs capacity. And, then, cost.

I'm sure that there will be improvements, but when the radical new schemes make it into production is always
    later than you might think.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    That's the cool thing, tho. They ALREADY HAVE a manufacturing process! The REAL hard part was figuring out how to make the electrolyte/insulator/ion-exchange layer. And they have that now too. The design works. Weight and capacity? Check! Light weight and FIVE TIMES the capacity of planar-type cells.

Cost? Well yeah. Aint gonna be seeing them at a consumer level for some time, I'm sure. No one is doing HV manufacturing yet. I was thinking of someone like Tesla Motors. Elon Musk is looking to build a huge Lithium battery factory right now. This new battery would be perfect for the EV guys: it can be molded into any shape to fit any where; it's non-toxic (both the battery and the mfg process), and is much less likely to catch fire if punctured; it will extend the vehicle range by 5 times, and cut charging time to the equivalent of a fill-up! AND the battery packs can be charged over 1000 times, compared to std Li-Ion 300-350 times. If Tesla got behind this, everyone would benefit.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckk2 View Post
    Innovations in battery technology have been just over the horizon for longer than I've been alive.
    The challenge is always the weight/capacity/size combination vs capacity. And, then, cost.
    You don't consider the LiPo technology that's only been widely available for the last 10 years or so to be "radical new" technology? I started flying electric with Ni-Cd cells that weighed twice or more and had less than half the capacity of today's cells.

Don't be like those guys of the 1800's who thought that everything worth inventing had already been discovered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by radfordc View Post
    You don't consider the LiPo technology that's only been widely available for the last 10 years or so to be "radical new" technology? I started flying electric with Ni-Cd cells that weighed twice or more and had less than half the capacity of today's cells.

Don't be like those guys of the 1800's who thought that everything worth inventing had already been discovered.
    Battery development is ongoing. No one has (so far) found the magic bullet that really really increases energy density. For awhile, it was thought that "super capacitors" might be developed to be a viable alternative. Lithium batteries have a high energy density compared to other types. It's just that it's still only about 1/2 of what is desired.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Lipo's are about 30 years old, it's only the technology to use them has changed. With new battery technologies comes the electronics to use them.
    Sorry officer i thought the speed limit only applied to people with driving licenses.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Prieto HAS found the magic bullet. They developed a solid-state polymer electrolyte that isn't flameable. And a structure that has five times the power density. Not 5%. Five TIMES. This is not incremental, it is not baby-steps, this is a LEAP.

To quote the article: "Prieto has a two-pronged approach to commercialization. Later this year, the startup hopes to begin selling a more traditional drop-in anode that is safer, has three times the energy density, and can be swapped into standard Li-Ion cells. Then there's the company's moon-shot: the 3D battery whose five-fold increase in total power and non-flameable design could completely reinvent lithium-ion batteries."

Several years ago, IBM and others were working on a Lithium-Air battery. One of the "new batteries" that were "just over the horizon". But they were not able to economicly overcome the need for pure O2, a filter to remove all CO2, moisture and nitrogen. So it died. Literally.

This new one by Prieto WORKS. AND they already have a non-toxic manufacturing process!
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    We need Shipstones. Or pocket fusion.

#26 Club Saito (2) FA-62's, FA-90TS, FA-120R3, FA-125a
    -Glowhead Brother #2 -

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    revolectrix has high voltage lipos and turnigy has some too. Would be amazing to see what they are like.
    Sorry officer i thought the speed limit only applied to people with driving licenses.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Rv7garage View Post
    We need Shipstones. Or pocket fusion.

It turns out that there are some things going on that may be applicable to high energy density batteries.
    One is rather interesting in that it utilizes hemp fibers (Currently a waste product) Seems that the fibers can be used to produce
    a very thin layer that has a structure similar to carbon nanotube.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckk2 View Post
    It turns out that there are some things going on that may be applicable to high energy density batteries.
    One is rather interesting in that it utilizes hemp fibers (Currently a waste product) Seems that the fibers can be used to produce
    a very thin layer that has a structure similar to carbon nanotube.
    That is interesting. How 'bout that hemp plant? Make rope, clothing, makes us "happy"...now batteries too? Wow, man, like, cool.
    Just a schmoe....