Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Best brand of RC LIFe battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:59 AM
mort78
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best brand of RC LIFe battery

Hi guys,
Just after some recommendations for life batteries please.
I like the stability of life batteries as opposed to the lipo's. But I'm after a decent brand.
I've been using the Hyperion so far, but not overly impressed with them.
Many thanks,
Mort
Old 11-14-2014, 07:33 AM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Authentic A123 cells
Old 11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hangtimes.com Not the cheapest but if the plane matters then they are worth it.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Highflyer2

+1 Hangtimes Hobbies

John
Old 11-14-2014, 08:28 AM
pilotpete2

Originally Posted by pkoury
Authentic A123 cells
+1!!!!
I would just add Radical RC as a solid and reliable source.
Pete
Old 11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pkoury
Authentic A123 cells
Add another vote for using genuine A123 cells. Though most of my batteries come from Hangtimes (also known as NOBS) I've also used the batteries from Taildragger RC and Wrongway Rc. All of these companies assemble their packs using genuine A123 cells.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:56 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had good results with Fromeco.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

I've had great experiences with both Hangtimes and Radical RC, both operations are excellent. Genuine A123 cells all the way!
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 PM
betarad

Another thumbs up for Hangtimes. I’m somewhat of an infrequent RC’er, and their batteries (and other offerings) have not failed me whenever it’s time to suddenly make a surprise appearance at the local field. now if only better flying skills could be purchased through them...
Old 11-15-2014, 12:32 AM
mort78

Awesome guys.... many, many thanks for your replies. I will take a look at the above mentioned companies.
Thanks again,
Morten
Old 11-18-2014, 02:53 PM
Thunder Chicken

I used turnigy nanotechs lifep04 rx packs (2100mah, 1700mah and 1100mah) this season. All worked just fine, i like them a lot more than ni-mh's. I fly mostly sport planes, 40-60 size, non digital servos. Also great for combat planes, as they are light, charge quick and are cheap if they get wrecked in a crash!!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:25 PM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI.... Spektrum has just released a line of LiFe receiver packs in various capacities. They are not A123 cells, but I have been testing them for the last 6 months or so and they are performing very well. They deliver the rated capacity, take a high-rate charge and balance well. I've used them in large turbine powered models where the current draw is higher than average with no problems. I've also tried beating them up in a single cylinder warbird that vibrates pretty good and not had an issue with durability. I've been a big proponent of Hangtime hobbies A123 packs for a few years now, but I've been very happy with the new Spektrum LiFe packs. I would encourage folks to give them a try.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...y-spmb2200lfrx

KennyMac
Old 11-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Rv7garage

KennyMac- those packs look nice, and with Horizon backing them it definitely makes it easy to give them a try

So with that said, the reason > I < will continue to choose Hangtimes is that Steve's packs are wired in the perfect configuration for a no-brains, in-model, balance-chargeable setup. His standard 3-wire Universal connector will work with just about any switch/charge jack out there, and it makes the all-important act of accessing both cells for balancing (in the plane) a simple, thoughtless process. I strongly feel that if the balance charging setup is made to be easy, then I will do it every time- just as a "best practice" habit.

Also, I feel like I'm supporting a "small business person", whose workmanship is top-notch.

Just my o-pine-ion

Last edited by Rv7garage; 11-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 AM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Hangtime Hobbies! I got everything I needed from Steve and he is very informative and helpful!!!! Thanks Steve. ~CR
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RV7,
I completely agree with all of your points on Hangtime Hobbies. Steve's pack assembly is the gold standard, and A123 cells are well proven and durable. I've got his packs in a few of my planes. There's also nothing wrong about supporting a small owner-operated business. I would point out that the Spektrum packs are a little less money, and are available in capacities and physical sizes that are different from the standard A123 sizes. This might make installation possible or easier in some models. They are available in 300, 900, 1450, 2200, 3000, and 4000mah capacities. They are also setup with EC3 connectors on a heavy gauge wire, servo connector on .22 gauge wire, and a standard xh balance connector.

I also agree with you on balance charging in models with a battery that is not easily removable. When I install these batteries in a model, I make an adapter cable out of a balance connector extension by cutting off the end opposite of the battery and crimping on a servo connector. I can then install that in an Ernst charging jack and balance charge without digging the battery out of the airplane, or even at the field with the airplane assembled. You could even use that connection with a chargejack switch and power your RX with it (remove the signal wire from the connector at the RX end) and balance charge through the chargeswitch port.

KennyMac

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	2048768  
Old 11-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another vote for Hangtime Hobbies. Great product and service.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM
ath5774

Originally Posted by flytheedge
Hangtime Hobbies! I got everything I needed from Steve and he is very informative and helpful!!!! Thanks Steve. ~CR
For new folks entering the "electrics" arena after being away for 20+ years... accessing a ‘highly’ recommended site for informations and then be presented with the following statement...

"If your looking for application info and assistance with the pressing questions of what motor pack, controller options and props would work best for your buggy or your electric powered airplanes.. move along. Nothing for you here."...

... does not give one a first impression of being “informative and helpful”, so I moved on. Without question, my first impression is totally wrong and his site is definitely informative, however; the above statement on his site leaves little question of his mindset. ( smile )

Mike
Old 01-07-2015, 10:31 AM
ath5774

Originally Posted by flytheedge
For new folks entering the "electrics" arena after being away for 20+ years... accessing a ‘highly’ recommended site for informations and then be presented with the following statement...

"If your looking for application info and assistance with the pressing questions of what motor pack, controller options and props would work best for your buggy or your electric powered airplanes.. move along. Nothing for you here."...

... does not give one a first impression of being “informative and helpful”, so I moved on. Without question, my first impression is totally wrong and his site is definitely informative, however; the above statement on his site leaves little question of his mindset. ( smile )

Mike
Old 01-07-2015, 10:51 AM
ath5774

My apology for duplicate post... learning interface here. I find no means to delete duplicate posting so will have to let is stand. Again, my apology.

Mike
Old 01-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Rv7garage

Mike, did you decide yet what route you are going to take?
Old 01-19-2015, 12:07 PM
ath5774

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Mike, did you decide yet what route you are going to take?
Rv7garage, if you're refering to me, yes I have. I wanted dearly to go with A123 batteries due to their safety aspect. However, right now, I simply could not justify an $80 outlay for "just" a battery. I caved and purchased a Spyder 4s 2200 mah Lipo battery along with "The Starter" 220W Combo CC-220 charger system from ProgressiveRC out of Seattle which is much closer to me.

This was the toughest decision for me to make, upon re-entering R/C after 20years away, given the months of research I invested towards chargers and batteries. Unfortunately, economics sometimes plays a larger role than safety in such decisions. Without doubt, I will be extremely mindful with a high degree of respect toward my LiPo battery activities.

My FlightTest FoamCub is within a week or so away from completion. Needless to say, I'm very anxious for this return to R/C flying. ( smile )

Mike

Name:	FoamCub_1-19-15.jpg
Views:	659
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	2065461  
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Rv7garage

Nice! The best thing about this hobby, is that there is rarely "one right answer"

So, you will be using a speed controller's BEC output for the onboard gear, I assume -since you went with a 4S Lipo. Correct? If so you should be fine; I've had several smaller aircraft that had this setup, and never had any issues.

Welcome back to the hobby!
Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 AM
Kipp Louis

Gens Ace Li-Fe.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:36 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

+ Radical RC. Dave's Packs are the best and all I use these days. cheap shipping too!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 AM
ath5774

Originally Posted by Rv7garage
Nice! The best thing about this hobby, is that there is rarely "one right answer"

So, you will be using a speed controller's BEC output for the onboard gear, I assume -since you went with a 4S Lipo. Correct? If so you should be fine; I've had several smaller aircraft that had this setup, and never had any issues.

Welcome back to the hobby!
My apology, rv7garage.. I failed to respond to your query. Yes, I will be using the electronic speed control BEC to power the onboard gear. All that I have researched thus far indicates, as you stated, this should be good to go on the FoamCub. I received my charger system and Lipo battery the other day... and WOW... what a truly nice charging system. Extruded aluminum case on both the charger and the power supply. The ad pictures do not do justice. I've been studying the docs to get familiar with charging this LiPo battery which is hard cased, by the way. Needless to say, I'm a little apprehensive. However, knowledge and experience is where it's at. This is my very first exposure with this technology. I just hope I don't burn my tee-pee down. ( smile )

I have a 35lb Smith Miniplane that I scratch built and has been in the hanger storage since the late 80s(photo attached). I would love to and have plans to, flying it again and the A123 batteries have been a focal point for this ship. I powered the onboard gear with an Ace 2x5 redundant system using two five cell NiCad battery packs before. I never once had any issue with this system and this was my everday airplane for two very full flying seasons, even doing a 30 mile cross-county flight between Pendleton and Hermiston Oregon once. I also had a Balsa USA 1/4 scale J-3 Cub on the Ace 2x5 redundant system(photo attached). No issue with it either. Since sold the Cub but kept the Ace 2x5 system.

So doing more research on the A123 batteries, definately they have a clear advantage over the LiPo batteries with little exception weight wise. In the Big Smith, I will be running a FrSky receiver which is rated upwards of 10 volts. Of course, the Big Smith has a modified Partner 500 chainsaw engine so the flight pack would be the only power requirement. No battery requirements for ignition because the engine has its stock ignition.

Then I thought, wait! Why use the A123 batteries when the NiCad batteries worked so flawlessly before using the Ace 2x5 Redundant system? If my research is correct, I should be able to power the FrSky receiver directly off the Ace 2x5 using the twin five cell NiCad battery packs as the old Futaba AM receiver was powered from.

I'm on the A123 fence again. More research definately needed here. Economics in play yet again. But, boy... it would certainly be a treat seeing that Big Smith flying around again. ( smile )

Thanks for letting me share... and being somewhat off topic... appreciate the welcome back...

Mike

Name:	SmithMiniplane_then_now-2015.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	2067654   Click image for larger version

Name:	j-3cubinfos.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	2067655  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.