Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Hydrimax NiMH 2000 mah batteries and Triton settings

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hydrimax NiMH 2000 mah batteries and Triton settings

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 09:10 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrimax NiMH 2000 mah batteries and Triton settings

I thought that changing from NiCds (600 Mah) to NiMH (2000 Mah) would improve duration, but have had the opposite experience. My NiCds have lasted for years, but have had to change NiMH packs twice in the last 3 years and the duration is mostly less. I say mostly less because I have at times made only one or two flights and the NiMH packs needed recharging, whereas the NiCds would always last for many more flights.

I am using the Triton charger and set the capacity to 2000 and have tried changing the discharge and charging rates.

Anyone able to tell me the correct, or recommend, settings on the Triton for these batteries?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What rate are you charging at? All new battery packs require a formation charge which is the capacity of the battery C/5 or in your case 2000/5 = 400mah charge rate for 10-14 hrs. Good information about charging all types of batteries can be found here. www.hangtimes.com After the intial formation charge you should charge at no more than 1C or 2 amps but for AA packs I would keep it down to about 1.2 amps. Batteries should be warm coming off a fresh charge and not hot. fast chargeing too often shortens the life of any battery. NiMH batteries lose their charge pretty quickly so if you are charging and not flying for a couple of days you should recharge again.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:09 AM
winglift
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the "battery memory" mode I am using 4.8 total pack volts, 2000 mAh capacity, .2A charge current, .4A discharge current, and 4.4 v for discharge cutoff voltage. By-the-way, the Triton 2 does not follow the flow chart in this as it does not have a screen to select the number of cells, in this case 4, after selecting the battery type. Another issue with the Triton is that I always have to go back to the menu to change the safety timer to no limit as it always resets itself to 90 minutes. I soon discovered this, but have not been able to make it a permanent change. Is there a way to change the default to no limit? I also have to press the menu button very hard and multiple times to get it to work. These are unrelated to the NiMH charging issue, but curious if this was a common issue with other Triton users.