Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Do you break in your Lipos? Heres how for new pilots...

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Do you break in your Lipos? Heres how for new pilots...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 06:05 PM
surferguy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you break in your Lipos? Heres how for new pilots...

Did you break in your lipos?
Drone Camps RC shows new pilots how to break in a new battery
for a more efficient and long lasting battery. See how to get a healthier battery out of your new lipo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-LGcuVchQ

Last edited by surferguy; 03-30-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:24 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Never heard of breaking in a LiPO battery. Is this method proven against a battery that hasn't been broken in? The link leads to nowhere.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:50 AM
surferguy

Never heard of breaking in a lipo? It's an proven and bench tested method and used at most RC flying fields and by professional heli pilots.

Here is the link again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW-LGcuVchQ
Old 03-28-2015, 09:26 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Link still goes nowhere!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:39 AM
surferguy

maybe copy and paste in your browser.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Aquila1954

The link worked for me
Old 03-28-2015, 10:02 AM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, u-tube was very slow to come up.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:00 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Meh, I never heard or seen anything about "breaking in" LiPos. If breaking in a LiPo would guarantee me an extra year of use I would do it, but I don't believe going easy on a LiPo will give an overabundance of durability.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like baloney to me. He's implying that after "break in", it'll be ok to run the batteries down 90%. Good luck with that.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:45 PM
trax de max

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some companies already do the break in before shipping out, so their is no need for the customer to do any break in period.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 PM
surferguy

Guys. This information is coming from RC heli professionals in the RC industry and veteran pilots in the AMA. Trust me just because you haven't heard of something does not mean its not true.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Propworn

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have always followed Thunderpower's recomendations:

First few Cycles

Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs. Also be extremely careful not to over discharge new packs(Packs should NEVER be over discharged at any time, but over discharging on the first use will ruin the battery permanently before you are able to enjoy it.See “Caring for Battery” below).

Caring for Battery

1. Only charge a LiPo battery with a good quality Lithium Polymer charger. Using a poor quality charger can result in fire. All Thunder Power chargers &Balancers are of the highest quality available.

2. Set voltage and current correctly (failure to do so can cause fire).

3. Please check pack voltage after the first charge.For example; a 2 Cell battery should measure 8.4V (8.30 to 8.44), a 3 cell battery should measure 12.6V (12.45 to 12.66).

4. Do not discharge a battery to a level below 3V per cell under load. Discharging below 3V per cell can deteriorate battery performance. Be sure to set yourESC for the proper cut off voltage (6.6V cut off for 2S packs, 9.9V cut off for 3S packs, etc)

5. Use caution to avoid puncture of the battery. Puncturing a LiPo battery may cause a fire.Operating TemperatureCharge: 50 to 100 degrees F Discharge: 50 to 130 degrees F1. Always allow a battery to cool down to ambient temperature before re-charging.2. During discharge and handling of batteries, do not exceed 140 degrees F.

What you are recommending is not going to hurt but the manufacturers I emailed did not feel it would increase battery life any more than a couple of easy runs and charge cycles. I have lithium hand tools I have beat up since day one and they still run just like the day they were purchased.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2015, 06:12 AM
Propworn

dumb double post
Old 03-30-2015, 02:33 PM
surferguy

I agree with all of that information that your pasted in your post. All of that info is correct, but what they are saying with
not over discharging them is basically what we recommend for the first ten flights. Which in turn with bench tested results
yields better charge capacity in return.

Keep in mind your talking to a company who sells batteries. If your battery lasts a shorter life. No problem for them!

Last edited by surferguy; 03-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:41 PM
surferguy

THUNDER POWER rocks by the way. I've been flying their batts for years. Love them. They hold a capacity better than some the other brand batts I have,
and I baby all of my batts.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Propworn

I have never been given bogus advice from Thunder Power and I have some of the original batteries that I still use today with no problems. Not sure what you mean that its not the same breaking in is breaking in and its right there in the post.

First few Cycles

Thunder Power recommends no more than 3-5C average discharge for breaking in new packs. Also be extremely careful not to over discharge new packs(Packs should NEVER be over discharged at any time, but over discharging on the first use will ruin the battery permanently before you are able to enjoy it.See “Caring for Battery” below).

Nothing about a partial run for the first ten times it’s not needed. Many of the heli guys have gone to Pulse batteries and they are pounding them from the first flight without any problems. I don't fly helis but the pounding these batteries are getting I figure they will do just fine in my planes. I have always taken it easy the first 3 or 4 flights then ran them as needed for performance. I've always set my esc cut off or used one with auto calibration. I can tell when the battery is falling off and land before the cut out occurs. Like I said the method you describe I feel is over kill and not necessary for battery life. If you want to do it this way it certainly doesn't hurt anything. If it gives you peace of mind and you feel it works for you then continue and good luck to you.

Been running lipo’s since their inception into the RC world. My first lipos powered brushed motors using speed controls that were designed for NiCad voltage cut offs. We timed our flights and continually checked the lipos for excess heat. Always followed manufacturer recommendations never heard of a 10 – 10 rule.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
surferguy

Dennis. I didnt say they gave you bogus advice.

I as well have been running lipos since they hit the market in the RC industry.
Potato potado. I'm not trying to argue or debate with you. I agree with what you posted about what Thunder power said.

But many heli pilots do still break in lipo batteries before they give them hell. Pulse may be an exception to the rule.

And just because you have never heard of a 10 and 10 does not mean it's wrong.

Last edited by surferguy; 03-30-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Propworn

Originally Posted by surferguy
Dennis. I didnt say they gave you bogus advice.

The insinuation was there at least that's how I took it to mean.

Originally Posted by surferguy

Keep in mind your talking to a company who sells batteries. If your battery lasts a shorter life. No problem for them!
And I can turn it around and tell you because you have been convinced of 10 and 10 doesn't give it any validity either. The only way of convincing anyone is with some facts and figures compiled from real testing not someone's say so.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2015, 03:17 PM
surferguy

In the video I say 5-6 times and 10 and 10 if you can stand it.

Here is a bench test below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5uVkv79O2U

Last edited by surferguy; 03-30-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:21 PM
surferguy

Never hurts to go easy on your batteries. Which is the only thing I am advocating.

Take Care.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Propworn

If ya run Turnigy I'd go easy on them too
Old 03-30-2015, 08:08 PM
surferguy

lol @ Turnigy. Haha I do have some Thunder Power too!
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 AM
tomfiorentino

It's a good question for Red. He's the guy for this type of thing.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:42 PM
DoctorAudio

Hello to all!

I am a RC pilot and racer.
Have been doing the racing thing for many, years.
It is common among most many of the racers today, to break in the batteries they use.
Many people say it is not needed with low cell counts of under 8. or two 4 cells in P or S.
I have witnessed it being done by some of the highest speed holding helicopters.
The ones that have cycled the packs, that seem to last the longest.
While supplying better power outputs than those that don't.
What breaking in your packs does keeps the internal resistance lower, which is something else that has talked about before.
Such as this video.
[URL=https://youtu.be/wP0MhOcPmQY%5B/video%5D]https://youtu.be/wP0MhOcPmQY[/URL]

Many battery manufactures have stop putting labels on the side of batteries saying a Lipo should be broken in.
But here is something that was found on a Venom battery many years ago. Oh wait that was 2 years ago.

Battery Break-in Procedure:

Contrary to popular beliefs that lithium polymer battery packs need no "break-in" period, before you run new Apogee packs continuously at their maximum discharge rate, we recommend you cycle the battery packs at no more than 7C for a minimum of 15 cycles down to 3.0V per cell or until the PROPERLY SET Low Voltage Cut-Off (LVC) on your ESC kicks in. All Apogee packs are to be charged at a maximum 1C.
According to Venom, they recommend "Breaking In" their batteries for a full 12 cycles before putting a load any greater than 7C on them in order to maximize the full performance of your new packs:
Venom LiPo Instruction Sheet (http://www.venom-group.com/mmVENOMGR...on%20Sheet.pdf)

So what does 7C mean?

If you have a battery that is 5000mAh, then 7C = 7 x 5000mAh = 35Amps

That's no good if you are running high powered 60A+ Brushless System!

Hopefully you have a digital charger that can automatically cycle your packs for you. I happen to own the Thunder AC6 which can be programmed up 5 charge/discharge cycles. Since I will need to cycle 12 times, I will only program 4 cycles into the charger and repeat this process 3 times.

Now if you're just a basher and don't really need to get the best performance out of your pack, chances are that skipping this step isn't going to be all that critical. Though if you want to maximize the performance out of your investment, then this exercise is probably worth exploring.
Here is a kid, talking about it.
[URL=https://youtu.be/ghMCg938IGM%5B/VIDEO%5D]https://youtu.be/ghMCg938IGM[/URL]

I have a just a few batteries last more than two years!
But,I do have 6 batteries that are 4 years old and still have a low IR!

Below is a picture of Justin Pucci's charging station.
He monitors his batteries output.
So he is braking in two batteries in this picture.

If you don't know who he is.
He has one of the fastest Goblin Speed helicopters in the world.
He is also a rocket scientist.
If anyone is trying to get the most out of his batteries, it is him.
Very smart man.
I would listen even if I hadn't been racing for years!

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11108854_10100500664580968_7241748354517009236_n.jpg
Views:	1739
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	2085488  
Old 03-31-2015, 04:29 PM
Propworn

Horse Pucci I say pure horse pucci

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.