Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Lithium Battery Triples Capacity and Charges Fully in Just Ten Minutes

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lithium Battery Triples Capacity and Charges Fully in Just Ten Minutes

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 AM
Amy2015

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lithium Battery Triples Capacity and Charges Fully in Just Ten Minutes

When I saw the news, I was shocked by the headline. Just 10 minutes, new lithium battery triples capacity and charges can be fully charged. As far as I am concerned, it will take at least 3 hours to charge your phone, the same with car, and other rc models and so on. Even today, we're barely even able to keep out phones alive through the evening commute. But a radical departure in Lithium ion battery technology could help keep our power-hungry gadgets online for days, not hours.Conventional Lithium ion batteries, the rechargeable cells what power everything from phones to Priuses, generate current by shuttling positive lithium ions between microscopically thin sheets of carbon graphite located at each electrode. But as these sheets age, their capacity and discharge performance degrades. This is especially true in the new generation of lithium-silicon cells (silicon replacing toxic cobalt as the battery's anode)—the mechanical stress of accepting and discharging electrons causes these silicon sheets to crack over time.Researchers at the University of Southern California have therefore done away with silicon sheets entirely. According to a study published in the journal Nano Research reports, a team headed by Viterbi School of Engineering professor Chongwu Zhou instead uses fields of porous silicon nano-tubes to shuffle electrons without wearing down and without losing capacity. What's more, the team's provisional patent indicates that this new battery structure could hit the market in just two to three years.Therefore, and also many new generation of inexpensively-produced, environmentally-friendly, and long-lasting power sources will be born at the right moment, only a matter of time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	118f311080997be6779bf2459401c705.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2097292   Click image for larger version

Name:	f2995f134f0c292cf3ab830c27cc181f.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2097293  

Last edited by Amy2015; 05-20-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:48 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Way I, and possibly many others, rate battery technology is to compare it to fossil fuels abilities. Mine is this:

I can drive my fossil fueled vehicle from Tulsa to Denver with only 1 stop for gas that takes 10 to 15 minutes to refill.

Fair or not, when I can do the same for a battery powered vehicle, then battery power has arrived. That is if the cost isn't my first born son.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:15 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I once read about a company in Israel that was going to stock charged batteries so than you could drive a suitable equipped car in and they would change your battery in 15 minutes.
If we had such stations we could do that now with a modified Tesla.