Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

un-balanced Iife batt

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:00 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default un-balanced Iife batt

I have Triton 2 Qe to charge my Lipo's and Life batteries,

So now the question I have a Life 1800 Ma.6.6V 2cell That I am using as a receiver and Ign power source, finished a afternoon of flying, both cells showed 2.97V, So put it on the charger with a balance board hooked up and charger set for the battery after about 25 min I got an error msg, open circuit, never seen that befor so disconnected it and checked it one cell shows 4.29V the other shows 3.39 and when I check it with a meter at the power plug it shows 7.68, so how do I have an OPEN circuit? So I figured it did not balance rite, So next I set the charger to discharge hooked it up per the manual and I still get the error msg OPEN circuit,

Now what is the best coarse of action this was the first recharge attempt, with this battery I have 2 others doing it the same way and no problem's, my 2200 lipo's set op per the manual and no problems

As you can tell I am a newbe to Lipo's and Life batteries

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have over discharged one of the cells at one time. Try charging it without the balance plug for about 10 min then hook it up and start charging again. I have also found that sometimes the bal plug does not connect correctly and the charger does not see one cell so it causes the error msg. wiggle the plug some and restart the charger.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:18 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

raptureboy

Did that and the one low cell came up just enough the get it on my lipo charger and it came back to life, So all is now good. But I have changed the ing system back to Nimh batt's and every thing is working great got 4 flights in with no problems.

Thanks for the reply.

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If the charger was set to charge a LiFe battery, the terminal voltage shouldn't have gone over 7.2 volts! Are you sure the charger was set up correctly? The charger itself should have prevented a higher voltage.

The charger showing an open circuit is just the way those chargers display something being out of range. For example, if the battery voltage is too high for a particular battery setup on the charger, when you plug in the battery, it will display open circuit to tell you something is wrong.