Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Extremely poor battery life after a few runs

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Extremely poor battery life after a few runs

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Callumatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely poor battery life after a few runs

Hi. I'm having issues with my HSP Destrier. I've had it for a few weeks, the battery charges. But it lasts about a minute before it dies. This is after about 6 hours of charge time. It's LiPo. Is it an issue with the charger, the battery or the car? Please help. I've used it about 7 times.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:56 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the very brief information you gave, it's hard to say.
First running lipos to below 3.2v per cell will cause premature failure.
I have no idea what you are using for a charger. The cheap chargers often included with ready to use models are often questionable as to how well they work.
Six hours to charge is often indicative of a cheap low power charger. Lipo's generally are fully charged in an hour or less on an appropriate sized charger.
The web information on this model lists NiCad batteries, which are quite different from Lipo's. Six hours might be within reason for NiCads.

Last edited by chuckk2; 11-06-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Callumatic

That's weird. It came with a LiPo. The brand of battery is Fullymax. (11.1v) I am thinking it is the charger though. I'll check that when I can.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:49 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm only guessing at what charging platform came with the OP's model, but something like ?...

This type of charger is what came with my ZD Racing truggies. I have never attempted to use this type of charger as I use basic 80w copies of iMax's B6AC chargers, but as long as the charger that came with your RC has something to sense the different cells voltages, they should work. I can't remember the mah output of my chargers; I do know that they were less than 1 amp and that would be about right for a 6 hour charge time.

I would suggest at least getting a low voltage alarm/battery voltage tester(s) :

These will allow you to check each cell's voltages.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	2129606   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2129610  

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-08-2015 at 06:39 AM. Reason: wording
Old 11-08-2015, 06:26 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Also, to get the most out of your LiPos, read the manual (if there is one) about the settings for the ESC's LVC (low voltage cut-off).
Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 PM
ggcrandall1

Best guess is you are killing your batteries in one or both of two ways.
1. Never discharge a LiPo cell below 3.4V under load (3.7V at rest).
2. Never leave a LiPo fully charged for any significant length of time. When not in use LiPo's should be stored a about 3.85V/cell.

May I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
There is a wealth of information on the care and feeding of LiPo batteries there.

May I also suggest you get a charger that can properly charge your batteries. It should have a display that will tell you charging current, pack and individual cell voltages and the mAh returned to the pack during the charge.

The Hobbyking Accucell-6 is an inexpensive example.

Glen
Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"I am thinking it is the charger though. I'll check that when I can."
It's certainly possible.
unfortunately, the symptom you mention also can be caused by a bad cell.
A multicell Lipo (unless it has an internal electronic protector, ) needs to be charged with
a balancing charger,