Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Two dead Venom batteries in one day.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Two dead Venom batteries in one day.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:39 PM
captain bill
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two dead Venom batteries in one day.

Building a 2wd Slash for my son with a Castle 4600 and Sidewinder3 esc, first I tested with a nimh 3000ma 8 cell Venom pack and it killed it quick, now the battery will not charge proper. I then tried a nimh 5000ma 8 cell Venom pack with the same results. Both batteries are less than a year old and only run a few times. I've read that Venom packs are cheap, but are they that bad? The motor and esc barley got warm. Gears are 19 pinion and 90 spur with no binding or drag. Tires are stock. Hoping its just a crappy battery issue, trying to be ready for Christmas morning. Any help or suggestions will be great, Thanks.

Last edited by captain bill; 12-11-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 03:27 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have put caution at the back of my head everytime I see one of those batteries. I know my first Castle Creations Mamba Max ESC/5700 combo did not like lesser quality NiMh battery packs, and would shut off every time I would try to accelerate too fast. I would have to turn off the speed control, and turn it back on to get going again. Talk about a pain in the butt.

Back in the day, I switched to Intellect 4200mah cells and built my own packs with good silver battery bars...I never had an issue afterwards. I don't know what good NiMh are nowadays as I've switched to LiPo batteries.

Are your battery packs doing what? Not taking a charge at all?
Old 12-12-2015, 04:30 AM
captain bill

Thanks for the reply. Both batteries now only charge to about a third of their capacity and die quick. I should have read the complete instruction manual, it clearly states that this system will not run on cheap batteries that have less than 30c, or a 25c traxxas 8 cell. Guess its time to join the rest of the hobby world and go lipo. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:01 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by captain bill
Building a 2wd Slash for my son with a Castle 4600 and Sidewinder3 esc, first I tested with a nimh 3000ma 8 cell Venom pack and it killed it quick, now the battery will not charge proper. I then tried a nimh 5000ma 8 cell Venom pack with the same results. Both batteries are less than a year old and only run a few times. I've read that Venom packs are cheap, but are they that bad? The motor and esc barley got warm. Gears are 19 pinion and 90 spur with no binding or drag. Tires are stock. Hoping its just a crappy battery issue, trying to be ready for Christmas morning. Any help or suggestions will be great, Thanks.
I think I know what happened. You tried to run those packs on that ESC, which in turn, damaged the packs by trying to draw too much current. Venom NiMH packs work great and even my Venom NiMHs from 2007 work fine today. If you'd like, I can help you pick out a 2S LiPO that will suit your needs.
Old 12-12-2015, 06:18 PM
captain bill

Originally Posted by collector1231
I think I know what happened. You tried to run those packs on that ESC, which in turn, damaged the packs by trying to draw too much current. Venom NiMH packs work great and even my Venom NiMHs from 2007 work fine today. If you'd like, I can help you pick out a 2S LiPO that will suit your needs.

You are correct sir. I should have completely read the manual before using the Venom packs, although, I would have thought that the 5000mAh battery would have lasted a little longer.. I was going to order a Traxxas 2s 25c 5800 pack with an easy to use Onyx 150 charger. Trying to keep things simple so my wife and kid can charge batteries if I'm not around at the time. Does this sound like a decent battery choice? I understand there are much better batteries and chargers, but this seems to fit my need and budget. I've been building rc's for many years, but this is the first brushless system I've had and I'll take all the advise I can get.Thanks for your reply, knowledge and any help.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
collector1231

No problem. Yeah, it is a nice pack, but I'd suggest something with more C rating, like maybe 35C at minimum. I think you may be able to RMA those Venom packs that died, haven't ever tried it. Might want to contact Venom about it.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34 PM
collector1231

No problem. Yeah, it is a nice pack, but I'd suggest something with more C rating, like maybe 35C at minimum. I think you may be able to RMA those Venom packs that died, haven't ever tried it. Might want to contact Venom about it.

http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...-with-uni-plug

Last edited by collector1231; 12-12-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:28 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by captain bill
. I was going to order a Traxxas 2s 25c 5800 pack with an easy to use Onyx 150 charger. Trying to keep things simple so my wife and kid can charge batteries if I'm not around at the time. Does this sound like a decent battery choice? I understand there are much better batteries and chargers, but this seems to fit my need and budget. I've been building rc's for many years, but this is the first brushless system I've had and I'll take all the advise I can get.Thanks for your reply, knowledge and any help.
Thinking about switching over to LiPo batteries? Check out SMC Batteries for your needs. They are consistently rated high among users. You will spend much less on a better quality pack here.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:18 PM
captain bill

Thanks for the help guys. I will take your advice and get something with a 40c or higher rating. To my surprise I was able to cycle the 5000mah battery back to apprx. 95% using a 1.5a charge rate. The 3000mah battery is toast. Thanks again for the help folks.

Last edited by captain bill; 12-13-2015 at 04:29 PM.