Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

re: Charger choice selection from a noob.

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

re: Charger choice selection from a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 AM
plbriggs7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Charger choice selection from a noob.

Hello all. Trying to understand all this lipo crap. Here goes. I'm looking at buying 2 smc-racing 2s, 60c, 9000mah batteries for a traxxas e-revo. I'm looking at either the Hobby king quarto 4x6s, the Hitec 4x 80w each, or the Turnigy 4x6s 400w. I want a 4x charger as the e-revo takes 2 batteries to run. Will these chargers eventually handle charging 4 of these batteries at once. I'm not sure if they will because of the wattage they're listed for, and the battery is 9000mah. If they will handle them can anyone tell me a ball park time if will take to charge these batteries from an esc cutoof, and from charging up from a storage charge. Thank you for the help. looking forward to being a member of this forum.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

What you could do, is get a dual charger and charge them in series. I think that would be a smarter idea as far as efficiency goes, as well as cheaper.

Charger; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...FYYdgQod0PQPUw

Charge leads (need 2 of these); http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Trax...FUskgQod9g4BNA
Old 12-15-2015, 10:53 AM
plbriggs7

I don't understand how that's cheaper. As I understand with my basic knowledge, and the more I learn, you can set your charger to 9.0 amp charge rate on a 9000mah lipo battery. If that's the case, and you're charging 4 at once, then you're limited to how much power output the charger can handle. If your charger only outputs 50w per charger port, then on a 9000mah setting you won't actually be charging at 9.0 amps, it will be much lower, because the charger doesn't have enough power to charge at that rate. This in turn slows down your charge time. Not what I'm looking for, I don't want my charge times significantly lowered because the E-revo runs on 2 batteries at once as it is. The more I look, the more I think the Turnigy 4x 400w DC charger is the way to go. From what I see on reviews the charger can handle a dedicated 10 amps. per charger port due to the 100w dedicated per port. I can get that charger for about $130, and a decent 500w+ power supply for $65. Total cost is about $200 plus shipping, plus the extra leads which you would need anyways. I also have the option of charging on location hooking the DC charger to a car battery, and don't have to go through the hassle of charging in series, etc. Is everything I just spouted sound about right, is there any flaws in what I was saying? Let me know what you guys think
Old 12-15-2015, 05:51 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Let the website product page sit for a while and you'll get a better deal on Hobby King. And don't forget to get additional balancing leads if you plan on going with the Turnigy.

Last edited by RustyUs; 12-15-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:47 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by plbriggs7
... can anyone tell me a ball park time if will take to charge these batteries from an esc cutoof, and from charging up from a storage charge.
LiPo battery chargers will use the CC/CV (constant current / constant voltage) charging method. Constant current is going to the battery during the beginning part of the charging cycle. As the battery voltage gets close to the ending charge voltage, the charger will automatically start reducing the charge current and then apply a constant voltage for the remaining charging cycle. The charger will keep reducing the amperage until the 100% charge voltage of the battery pack balances with charger's constant voltage setting (4.2v/cell) .... the charge is then complete. Balance charging the cells will have the longest charge times, and is recommended for a pack's "health".

When I'm balance charging a LiPo pack at a 1C charge rate; from storage voltage, it normally takes around 90 minutes to fully charge.