Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

vertical tail, left deflection

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 05:46 AM
left seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vertical tail, left deflection

I have recently completed a Lanier Taylorcraft giant scale kit. Avon completion I noticed that the vertical stabilizer was not parallel with the center of the fuselage. There ìs an approximate deflection of 2-3 % to the left ( as seen while standing behind the fuselage ). I am wondering if this is ( left deflection) is a feature òf the kit to avoid adding right thrust to the prop, or did I make a mistake. Any suggestions here would be appreciated as a friend of mine who has more experience building than I do says I need to remove the tail and center ìs properly.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:56 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

If you are saying the front of vertical stab is offset a bit to the left side of the fuselage (viewed from the rear) giving the same effect as a bit of right rudder, you should be OK. On takeoff and on vertical climbs, we hardly ever have to hold left rudder but often use right rudder so in you're case this is sort of built in .... intentional or otherwise. If the plane doesn't track straight ahead in normal forward flight, you may have to add a bit of rudder trim but otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. If you are offset in the opposite direction, I'd say fix it.

A number of full scale airplanes offset the vertical fin in this way by design to reduce the pilots workload on the rudder pedals. You've just sort of accomplished the same thing.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd likely fly the model, and see what rudder deflection if any is needed. If the model gets trimmed properly,
the trimmed rudder position is an indicator as to what is or is not needed.