Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Newb Rant re: Dumbass Traxxas Charger

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Newb Rant re: Dumbass Traxxas Charger

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 09:31 PM
masterslater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb Rant re: Dumbass Traxxas Charger

Yay! My first post!

Why in the world would Traxxas ship a D/C Automotive Cigarette Lighter Adapter in lieu of an A/C charger?

I cannot think of a single half decent reason why this isn't a moronic move.

Yes, I'm a newb. But I'm not an idiot. I also spent damn near $400 on a Summit 1/16 to receive a basically USELESS car charger!!! What in the F?!?! So now I need to invest another $80 to run my new toy without it being a super annoying pain in the ass process.

Here's my reasoning:

CANNOT charge while driving = stupid
MUST leave car turned on to charge = stupid
CAN'T lock car as key is in ignition = stupid
MORE likely to kill car battery = stupid

So here I am leaving my KEYS in the ignition of a fricking UNLOCKED car outside my house with the window rolled DOWN so I can charge a battery OUTSIDE the car. Who thinks this s**t up, seriously?!

It's so moronic on so many levels. A $400 product should come with the RIGHT accessories. I shouldn't have to buy any other stuff for this to run out of the box. How do they get away with this crap?

If someone can provide a solid argument as to why shipping with a frickin' cigarette lighter adapter vs an a/c adapter makes ANY sense, I will gladly eat my words.

I don't want to buy ANOTHER adaptor to adapt it to A/C, nor should I have to. Don't want to spend another $80 to make it convenient to use when at this price point it ALREADY should be. Don't want leave my car UNLOCKED on the street at night so I can use the damn thing the next day.

This post is labeled appropriately as a rant. Please consider that before you flame on. While I'm an r/c newb, I'm active on two other forums (mountain biking and 4x4 off roading), so I have other expensive hobbies and I know how these forums go, and I understand how the game works, gotta pay to play. But I've never seen anything as boneheaded as this charger.

Phew... Rant complete.

Last edited by masterslater; 06-16-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:49 PM
masterslater

Ok, so here's someone else's much more measured and calm approach to the situation.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?9051773-Expected-Use-of-DC-car-charger-for-NiMH

It proves that while I may be a blowhard, I'm not crazy. It really is just plain dumb...

If warning against charging IN the automobile while the automobile is RUNNING is simply to cover their asses legally, then they should just make good and REPLACE the dangerous product. Not add a dopey little sticker telling people to not do something that they know damn well people WILL do anyways. It's amazingly irresponsible and just plain shady.

Last edited by masterslater; 06-16-2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I do agree, it is a dumb idea, but I would suggest a new charger anyways, as the ones included with RTRs are slow. I would suggest...

Charger; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...alance-charger

Charge Adaptor; http://www.atomikrc.com/collections/...harger-adapter
Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by masterslater
...It's so moronic on so many levels. A $400 product should come with the RIGHT accessories. I shouldn't have to buy any other stuff for this to run out of the box. How do they get away with this crap? ..
It's a RTR RC you bought. Right? Generally in RTRs you get what's needed to get you up and running, and that's it. The components don't have the greatest specs which keeps the price lower and thus is more attractive to more buyers.

That's the only thing I got to say about RTRs.

People come up with their own ideas what "RTR" means:

Ready To Run
Ready To Reassemble
Ready To Resell
Ready To Replace
Ready To Rethink

In masterslater's case...
Ready To Rant

P.S. Paid near $400? You paid too much. Just use this as lesson learned, and move on. The included charger, that you got, probably only makes up 1.5% of the RTR cost. Resell it and/or get something like collector suggested. Once you get past this little bump in the road, I'm sure you'll be having a smile or two.

Welcome to RCU.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-17-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:37 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It comes down to the price. A DC only charger is cheaper to supply than a decent AC/DC one.
American auto standard has been to leave the cigar lighter socket hot with the key off.
Many of the chargers supplied with "ready to use" RC "toys" are less than one would like.
The usual "wall wart" AC adapter does not have enough current capability to power ubiquitous 4 button 50W RC chargers.
6A is about the maximum to draw from a standard auto battery over time. (There are a lot of if's, and's, and buts involved.)
About the minimum AC 12v PS I'd recommend, depending on the DC Charger's capability.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/352

Currently, I have several DC power supplies. A couple are similar to the one I mentioned, and used in 50W AC/DC four button chargers.
The others range from an older RS 12v 12A PS to two TDKLambda 24v 60A industrial supplies.

I do not recommend unattended charging, period.