Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Hobby RC Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 07:36 PM
NSSpeed5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hobby RC Newbie

For Christmas or before Christmas I am planning/hoping to get an HPI Racing or Traxxas,but what batteries should I use? I think I should start hobby RC with NiMh but I don't know,please help me!!
Old 10-10-2016, 05:12 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to RCU.

Just my opinion: If buying RTR packaged RCs with brushed systems and NiMh packs in already, then yes. It would be okay to start out with NiMh batteries. If the platforms are brushless already installed, then I would start with LiPo batteries. I don't think there is much of a price difference between the two chemistries. LiPo packs may even be cheaper is some cases. It all depends on what capacities one looks at. They (LiPo) should never be charged unsupervised. Also, LiPo batteries require special chargers for balancing individual cells. Please be aware, LiPos require specific care and maintenance.

Just try to understand some general care when using LiPo packs...Everything you need to know about LiPo batteries...

http://www.rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

Last edited by RustyUs; 10-10-2016 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 AM
RustyUs

Something that should have popped up during your search...NiMH Vs LiPo Batteries - Which is better?
Old 10-11-2016, 11:27 AM
NSSpeed5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprint 2/RS4 Sport 3 ?

I am going to buy an HPI Racing #112468 Micro RS4 1969 Ford Mustang RTR-X.And it comes with NiMh,but I am going to hope to get a Sprint 2 or RS4 Sport 3,so which one for the Sprint 2/RS4 Sport 3? Thank you for letting me know about different batteries !
Old 10-12-2016, 02:28 PM
RustyUs

For me the choice would be simple. Go LiPo, if the ESCs on those HPI platforms are capable of handling them (Low Voltage Cutoff settings).

I got back into racing when LiPo batteries were still relatively new on the scene. The prices were high. With my high powered brushless ESC/motor, I needed to buy very good NiMh packs or else the amp draw from the motor would be too much for "so so" NiMh batteries...ESC would shut down. I never had that problem again when using LiPo batteries with high powered brushless motors. That was the end of NiMh pack building for me!

I can't tell you which way to go. The performance to weight factor alone should be enough to lean towards LiPo batteries.