Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Lipo questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:12 AM
RC_Noobi3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lipo questions

So i have used lipos for quite some time without any problmes, but then i got a mamba monster 2 to my Summit and i have the 2650kv motor. I am currently using 2x3s lipos in a series to but the 3s lipos started puffing after about 50 runs. I have cut off on, but with castle link i can change the cut off voltage so what would be i deal for 2x2s 7800mAh in series and what would be ideal for 2x3s 5000mAh in series? Also would running on 2x3s 5000mAh in series give more run time than the previously mentioned 2s lipos. Also what batterys are great that fit the E REVO/SUMMIT?

2s lipos i am talking about
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C
3s lipos i am talking about
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/2831X
Old 11-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Mechanicaloverlord

First the 2650kv is meant for 4s max. Some guys run 6s for speed runs in much lighter 1/8 buggies but I wouldn't recommend unless you're experienced and not in a 1/8 monster truck. In fact the 2650kv is a smaller motor that doesn't develop as much torque and is more at home in a lighter vehicle like a 1/8 buggy.

Second, pick a voltage and stick to it. Unless you're going to change the motor to something with a lower kv I recommend 4s. In fact even if you're going to change the motor go 4s to help the drivetrain survive. The Erevo doesn't have the toughest drivetrain and the Summit with its diff locking mechanisms is a bit weaker.

As for the lipo cutoff I run 3.2v per cell. Some run up to 3.6v per cell but I think that's overkill and you're just losing runtime.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:33 PM
RC_Noobi3

Yea i have heard that the 2650kv is not great for Summit but i bought it as a 2200kv and the local store bust they also sold me a summit with a evx 2 esc and said it had lcv but it didnt.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:15 AM
RC_Noobi3

How do i charge a battery with 7500mAh when my charger only can charge 6000mAh at a time

Last edited by RC_Noobi3; 11-11-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:23 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The 6000mAh that you refer to, is that your maximum capacity shut-off setting for your charger? If so, start the charge over again. You should be able to turn off the maximum capacity cut-off for situations like charging extra large capacity packs.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:09 AM
RC_Noobi3

If i do turn off the maximum capacity cut-off will the charger just fully chrage the batterys?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:59 AM
Mechanicaloverlord

As long as you are balance charging the primary thing a charger is looking at is the cell voltage. The max capacity thing is secondary but will stop the charge if it reaches max capacity before the pack reaches 4.20v per cell. Disable max capacity and the charger will be looking at cell voltage only allowing you to fully charge your 7500mah pack in one charge cycle instead of 2.

If you disable max capacity just be sure the charge rate is still correct. Some charger you enter in the mah number and it automatically figures out charge rate, max capacity, etc. Disabling max capacity may change the charge rate or other setting so just make sure they're still correct.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:53 AM
RC_Noobi3

Originally Posted by Mechanicaloverlord
As long as you are balance charging the primary thing a charger is looking at is the cell voltage. The max capacity thing is secondary but will stop the charge if it reaches max capacity before the pack reaches 4.20v per cell. Disable max capacity and the charger will be looking at cell voltage only allowing you to fully charge your 7500mah pack in one charge cycle instead of 2.

If you disable max capacity just be sure the charge rate is still correct. Some charger you enter in the mah number and it automatically figures out charge rate, max capacity, etc. Disabling max capacity may change the charge rate or other setting so just make sure they're still correct.
I have the SKYrc e6650 charger https://www.manualslib.com/products/...0-3922236.html can this do that is explained up above?

Could discharging/balancing my old lipos sort of "fix" them stop them from puffing

Last edited by RC_Noobi3; 11-30-2016 at 11:02 AM.