Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Which charger between these two would you get...?

Old 03-03-2017, 10:51 AM
bobalouie76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Which charger between these two would you get...?

Hi All,

So my son and I have been messing around with RC for about a year now and I have decided we need a few more batteries and a new charger. I have been using the Reedy charger that came with my SC10 but would like to get one that will charge 2 batteries at once. Here are the 2 chargers I have been considering... I would like some suggestions on which you would buy if you were me.
Thanks in advance!

Ultrapower UP120AC Duo on Amazon $109.99
or
Duratrax Onyx 255 on Tower $89.99

Thanks again
Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Handsdown...the Ultrapower UP120AC
Old 03-04-2017, 03:52 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The one thing that the Duratrax chargers have going for them is the 5 year warranty.

The UP120AC Duo has twice the power of the 255. Bonus for when you get into larger cell/capacity packs.

I don't know what battery chemistry you are using, but the Duratrax charger does not have a "Storage Mode" for LiPo packs. Not that big of a deal for some people, but using LIPo packs, I need a charger to balance LiPo cells to storage voltage. Having a charger do the work automatically, charge/discharge each cell to 3.8v, is a lot better than standing over a changer and stopping a partial charge manually.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:57 AM
voyager_663rd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agree, it's not a big deal (not having "storage" mode). Just set the discharge at a safe rate and set a timer.

Only need to balance on a charge (and even then, some don't--not recommended though).

Re: warranty. I've got an Einstein that's been good for 15 yr. Just an LED burnt out but still works. Not very powerful by today's standards (and only for metals or cads) . I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the warranty aspect.

UP120AC would be my choice as well.

Last edited by voyager_663rd; 03-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:08 AM
bobalouie76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's the one I was leaning towards too. Anyone have an argument for the Duratrax?
Old 03-06-2017, 03:28 AM
RustyUs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by bobalouie76 View Post
Hi All,

So my son and I have been messing around with RC for about a year now and I have decided we need a few more batteries and a new charger. I have been using the Reedy charger that came with my SC10 but would like to get one that will charge 2 batteries at once. Here are the 2 chargers I have been considering... I would like some suggestions on which you would buy if you were me.
Thanks in advance!

Ultrapower UP120AC Duo on Amazon $109.99
or
Duratrax Onyx 255 on Tower $89.99

Thanks again
Since you using a Reedy charger now, I have to show this bit of info. I have been using Reedy electronics for a lot of years, mainly their motors, and I regard them (Reedy) as a very good brand. I know I'm not alone in thinking that. But like most other companies, some Reedy products are made by other manufacturers, and have their "good name" screen printed on the item.

I would like to think the people over at Reedy do their homework when having products made for them so as not to tarnish their reputation. I'm 99.9% sure UltraPower is the OEM for Reedy's 1216C2 charger. Both chargers have the same specs. If Reedy trusts UltraPower to make a good charger, it's good enough for me .

Duratrax makes great chargers as well. It's just that having a little less power, and one little discharge/storage feature missing from the equation... I look elsewhere in the same price range.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Reedy.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	2204160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ultra Power.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	2204161  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
siliconrage

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just purchased the reedy and as far as I can tell, the reedy and ultra power are exactly the same. The reedy does not support lipo high voltage out of the box but, there is a firmware update that enables it. As far as I can tell their both the exact same charger! I bought the reedy for the support and warranty and hopefully future firmware updates. Not to scare anybody, but ultra power is not even in the us and is only in China. That means there is no warranty, tech support, or so far no firmware updates. If you are ok with that then there is no need for the added price of the reedy?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 AM
bobalouie76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger and ordered the UltraPower. Thanks again for your input.