Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What battery would go good with this motor/esc combo?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What battery would go good with this motor/esc combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 PM
rudyacosta216

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What battery would go good with this motor/esc combo?

Hey guys, I'm the biggest noob when it comes to rc's but yet I love having a blast with them out in the front. Anyways old system blew on my traxxas emaxx blew on me and I want to upgrade a brushless system whih will be linked here:
Goolsky SKYRC 13T 3000KV Brushless Motor & 60A Brushless ESC with 5V/2A BEC Linear Mode & Program Card Combo Set for 1/10 RC Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M7R9GTD..._8noWybCZQHEFP
I'm on a budget and seems like a good system so I'll go with it BUT next comes the battery, I dont know if certain esc/motors need certain battery requirements so I was wondering if yall can help me out with that, I was looking at these as for theyve been reccomended to me but just want to be sure.
Floureon 2 Packs 3S 11.1V 3000mAh 30C Lipo Battery with Dean-Style T Connector for RC Airplane Helicopter Boat Drone and FPV (5.35x1.69x0.83 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L2V09VQ..._ADoWybY9HM98Y
Also what is the little connection on the battery too?^
ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE AMAZING THANK YOU
Old 03-13-2017, 10:27 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to start with the max wattage the motor will sustain.

The specs say the motor is rated for 33 amps. Since you are using 11.1v 3S packs that equates to 33x11.1= 366 watts maximum draw.

The wattage divided by the operating voltage gives you the highest amp draw sustained. At WOT your motor is rated for 33 amps.

A 3000mAh 20C 3S pack can sustain 60 amps. At lesser amp draws the battery lasts longer and gets less damage, and you get better run times.

So even a 2000mAh 20C 3S pack will suffice, but the 3000mAh pack will give you longer running at high throttle, about 8 minutes..

I don't know anything about the brand of packs nor motor and ESC you have selected.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:27 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I am not sure about the motor (in OP) being "right" for a heavier 9½ lb. 4wd monster truck like the Traxxas EMaxx . Those "finned out" 540 sized cans are actually 380 sized motors inside of them. I was surprised by the power they do have...on a 1:10 2wd stadium truck. I know some manufacturers even put the finned motors in 4wd stadium trucks, but they weigh nowhere near what the EMaxx weighs.

I would definitely get an IR thermometer for a situation like this, 'cause I think there may be a heat issue about to happen...and then some. Like anything, if geared right...no problem. But getting the right gearing may be more than what the motor mount will allow (can you even mount a 540 motor in the EMaxx?).

Last edited by RustyUs; 03-13-2017 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd at least look into getting something like a HobbyWing Quicrun 8BL50 150A ESC/4074 motor combo to drop in that monster truck. Then you could run two 3S LiPo packs like you want to do.