Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Newbie having battery trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:30 AM
eugenerealestate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie having battery trouble?

Hi, the battery for my Micro RS4 quit taking a charge and after fussing with trying to find a new one I'm wondering if there is a way to get around having to use the stock Plazma 6.0 1200mAh NI-MH MICRO BATTERY PAC. A friend suggest I try to find out if there is a lipo battery available for it but I haven't been able to find anything about it. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2017, 10:47 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by eugenerealestate
Hi, the battery for my Micro RS4 quit taking a charge and after fussing with trying to find a new one I'm wondering if there is a way to get around having to use the stock Plazma 6.0 1200mAh NI-MH MICRO BATTERY PAC. A friend suggest I try to find out if there is a lipo battery available for it but I haven't been able to find anything about it. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!!
Hi Eugene and welcome to RC Universe .

Yes indeed there is a LIPO replacement/adaptation for every NIMH pack in hobby use . That's the good news . The not so good news is that the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) in your RC is most likely only able to be used with NIMH and shouldn't be used with LIPO due to NIMH's having a different "LVC" (Low Voltage Cutoff) than LIPO does* . If you want to get a LIPO dedicated charger , ESC , and of course the LIPO itself , then yes it should be doable . The problem with hooking a LIPO up to your NIMH ESC is that it will allow the LIPO to be discharged too far , and just one instance of running a LIPO below it's recommended minimum voltage is enough to damage it .

*Some ESCs have a LVC settable for both LIPO and NIMH functionality , but it's highly unlikely that your micro RS4's ESC has that ability ...
Old 03-17-2017, 10:54 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problemo in regard to the LVC. Just get one of these little gizmos that you connect to the batteries balance connector. They're quite loud!
Pete