Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Can i use this battery with drone ?

Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Can i use this battery with drone ?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 AM
Bcus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i use this battery with drone ?

I have a 3.7v 850mah JST battery that came as default with the drone, (dx3 drone). Can some tell me if it is possible to use a 5000mah for example on this drone changing the connector to a JST connector ? The charging method is through USB. 850mah gives me about 5-8 minutes of flight. Any suggested ideas are welcome. Also how do i check the level of the charge the battery is at ?
thank you.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:16 PM
pilotpete2

A 5000mAh cell is going to be an awful lot more weight, possibly too much. Do you have a link to the 5000mAh battery you're looking at?
Pete
Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Bcus

I dont have a picture or battery example to show, i am just wondering wgat is the maximum battery capacity i can install for longer flight time. Also the drone has no indicator that the battery is fully charged so i am looking for a device that tells me that the battery is charged.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:35 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DX3 is a toy-grade copter sold at walmart and similar toy stores.

It will not be able to carry any more weight than the 850mah pack.
It is what it is.

If you want to check the voltage on a single cell you will need to get a 4-button style charger that will show the pack voltage on the display . These typically cost around $70.00 and up.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Bcus

I am not sure why you had to specify that the Dx-3 is a toy grade drone, but yes i got it at walmart if you must know.

It's my first drone or copter like you wrote, i am learning to fly a drone and move to a more professional grade drone, i was looking at the dji mavic pro.

850mah pack might be upgraded if i upgrade the rotors also i guess again i am not here to talk to much technical upgrades, obviously more power more weight, if i can put a 2500mah pack that will give me 3x times more of flight time.

Checking the voltage of the battery shouldn't cost me an extra 70$, i don't know where you are getting your source for that high price.

I guess you're a pro and better suited than me about all this, i got my first drone 3 days ago.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:37 AM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by Bcus
I have a 3.7v 850mah JST battery that came as default with the drone, (dx3 drone). Can some tell me if it is possible to use a 5000mah for example on this drone changing the connector to a JST connector ? The charging method is through USB. 850mah gives me about 5-8 minutes of flight. Any suggested ideas are welcome. Also how do i check the level of the charge the battery is at ?
thank you.
Originally Posted by Bcus
I am not sure why you had to specify that the Dx-3 is a toy grade drone, but yes i got it at walmart if you must know.

It's my first drone or copter like you wrote, i am learning to fly a drone and move to a more professional grade drone, i was looking at the dji mavic pro.

850mah pack might be upgraded if i upgrade the rotors also i guess again i am not here to talk to much technical upgrades, obviously more power more weight, if i can put a 2500mah pack that will give me 3x times more of flight time.

Checking the voltage of the battery shouldn't cost me an extra 70$, i don't know where you are getting your source for that high price.

I guess you're a pro and better suited than me about all this, i got my first drone 3 days ago.

Well I didn't mean for the truth to be hurtful but it is the truth.

Here are some short answers to your questions:

NO, you can't use a larger battery.
If you don't want to spend money on a good charger and you know how to use a voltmeter then use that to check the battery voltage.

Good luck.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:08 AM
Bcus

If i care about your comments it doesn't mean anything else than me being upset about the fact you're a ****** (edited by myself), you have no proof or links that proof that the dx-3 drone (from walmart) can't operate with a larger pack battery so your posts to me are useless, that's the only reason i am upset because i have better things to do.

act and behave... i don't respect people like you for the simple fact that instead of helping and being happy that someone else in the world is starting in the same hobby as you, you just act like you know everything and nobody can tell you anything.

I hope you get my point this time. I am way over the age of being a kid.

a simple google search for dx-3 drone gives you more info on the drone i mentioned in my first post.

you're not helping so why are you even posting ?

Last edited by Bcus; 06-09-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 AM
flyinwalenda

No, you don't want to listen to anyone and you won't be happy until you get the answer you want.

So here you go.

Buy a bigger battery and strap it on and have fun flying. Maybe this way you WILL learn something.

Here's a link that you asked for. Read all of the rave reviews.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sharper-I...amera/54427370

Or you could just listen and fly the copter as-is with the battery it was designed to fly with and try to learn how to fly it.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:55 AM
Bcus

Please don't pretend to know me or what i will do *if*

thanks for the link.
Have a good day.