Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Traxxas batteries

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 AM
WAG0N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traxxas batteries

I just got into RC cars and bought a Traxxas slash 4x4. I was looking around for some more batteries and noticed Traxxas brand batteries are more expensive. I was wondering do you have to use the Traxxas brand batteries in a Traxxas truck or can you use any brand batteries.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use any brand of battery so long as the battery meets the requirements for the truck (capacity, voltage, and discharge rate). Keep in mind not many batteries use the Traxxas connector on them, you will need to either procure an adapter or convert either the battery or truck to an appropriate connector.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM
WAG0N

So all I have to worry about is capacity voltage and discharge rate?

Last edited by WAG0N; 06-20-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:05 PM
WAG0N

Originally Posted by Xpress
You can use any brand of battery so long as the battery meets the requirements for the truck (capacity, voltage, and discharge rate). Keep in mind not many batteries use the Traxxas connector on them, you will need to either procure an adapter or convert either the battery or truck to an appropriate connector.
Where would I usually find the information on what specs of batteries I can use?
Old 06-21-2017, 09:00 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Traxxas tells you what battery you will need, you just need to use their recommendations to source a pack for you.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:24 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want spare packs for you RC, I would start looking at SMC packs like this one...Factory Spec 7.4V 5000mAh 40C
You have the option to choose what connector you want on the packs.
Size is a factor sometimes when getting into larger capacity cells.

Length138mm
Width46mm
Height26mm

Those numbers are normal for a standard hard case "stick" LiPo pack. If you want to know what "C" rating to get, start getting to know about LiPo packs a bit...

RC Resources for the beginner [Read this first]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/batt...batteries.html
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traxxas packs are more expensive because of their propriety "ID" function. To use this you also have to use their charger. It's basically a dumbed-down system where the charger "recognizes" what type of battery was connected and automatically sets most of the chargers settings for you.

For NiMh packs you can use the Traxxas packs with any brand of charger but you simply have to set the charger up just like with any other brand battery. You can also use the Traxxas charger with any other brand of battery, you simply have to set the charger up manually.

For LiPo packs you will need an adapter to use the Traxxas packs with any other brand of charger because the Traxxas packs have an internal cell balancer. With this adapter you connect it up just like a typical LiPo pack and set-up the charger just like with any other LiPo pack.

You can use any brand of NiMh pack or LiPo pack with your Slash. I would recommend using batteries from Venom, Dynamite, Reaction. If using MiMh packs get a 7-cell pack with a high capacity for longer run times ...say 4500 to 5000mah rating. If using a LiPo pack get a 2-cell pack again with a higher capacity such as 4500-5000mah.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:38 AM
mushia

Any brand you like. 2S lipos will be usually recommended.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:32 PM
mitchnc

Hello, guys. I'm new here. I had RC cars back when NiCad was the norm.
I'm ready to get back in and I've decided on a Traxxas Stampede 4x4. I moved from the suburbs to a 5-acre place out in the country.
The batteries you guys linked in this thread are half the price as Traxxas batteries.

I have a couple questions. I have this Turnigy charger and a 3A supply for my Parrot drone LiPo's:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us

Can I use this charger? If so, would I order the batteries with a Traxxas connector, then use some kind of adapter to charge them?

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:33 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
Use this adapter.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...-male-dync0057
Old 08-05-2017, 04:31 AM
mitchnc

Thanks. I just ordered everything.