Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

What is your experience / recommendation for a charger?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

What is your experience / recommendation for a charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your experience / recommendation for a charger?

It seems that I'm being dragged, screaming and kicking all the way, into 20th century aeromodelling. I was raised on nitro but started getting involved with 'lectric planes a couple of years ago. I was perfectly happy with NiMh but now I'm being shamed into going LiPo.

I bought an "Electrifly Triton 2 DC Computer Charger" four or five years ago for charging my few NiCad and NiMh batteries, as well as LiPos when I advanced to them. (Note: This charger has since been discontinued and Electrifly's current Triton2 EQ isn't the same.) Unfortunately, I'm now discovering that my charger isn't capable of balancing LiPos (which I've been told I need) and while it's also a discharger, it won't auto charge/discharge a LiPo to 50% for storage. So it looks like I need a new charger.

I can still use my original Triton2 for my few NiCad and NiMh packs so all I really need is a new LiPo charger. However, I wouldn't mind getting a charger that handles all three types so I wouldn't have to carry around several chargers. And a DC-only charger would be acceptable since I already have a 25A plug-in power supply. (But, again, an AC/DC charger would be nice so I wouldn't have to cart around the heavy P/S. I would also like for it to have a memory for storing several battery programs and, of course, it needs a LiPo "storage mode" for after the last flight of the day.

Any recommendations? (Note: The budget isn't bottomless!)

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 06-20-2017, 06:12 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Triton II can balance Lipos, you just need the dongle to go with it. Of course trying to find one would be like looking for Hens teeth. I used one for many years. It was my first lipo charger around 2000-2001.

Right now, I have (4) of these. As I dont charge giant batteries or try to balance at 10c. They work well for me. I use a laptop power cord as the AC power adapter.

Imax B6 80W Balance Charger | Value Hobby

With power supply

Imax B6 Balance Charger w/ Power Supply - LiPO Balance Chargers - Chargers - Power | Value Hobby

A power adapter like this. Friends and family may have them just lying around.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-1...top+power+cord

Buzz.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:28 AM
H5487

Buzz,

Thanks for your recommendations!

By "dongle" are you referring to the "Equinox" balancing adapter that connects between the charger output and battery being charged? I have one but when I tried to use it this past weekend, the Triton said that no battery was connected.

Harvey
Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM
blvdbuzzard

It is a pain, you have to plug the battery in, then the TINY led will flash green, you hit the button and it should stay green, then and only then will the battery charger see the battery. If it goes red, you will have to unplug the battery and try again. I think from memory the button had "connect" or something like that written under it?

Brother in law has the same setup I did. He struggled for years trying to get it to work. I could do it easy, but he had me press the button for him.

Mine died after many years of good service. I would have loved to get another one but the new version I did not like.

There are a lot of good chargers out there. Some are cheaper, others are high dollar.

Buzz.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You options for a charger are long and almost endless when wanting a DC only charger with separate power supply. You have to take in consideration the cell count of LiPo packs you will be charging and the capacity of them. If you are only doing 2 cell~3 cell LiPo packs, then lower powered chargers are okay. Getting into 4 cell packs and above, you best start paying for more powerful units. And then you have options with chargers that are able to charge more than one pack at a time.

Once you find out what your needs are, then it will be easier to make some suggestions. I say this, because you could spend $$$ on a charger setup. I was amazed at what people go through to make some "ultimate" portable power stations.

Good luck.

Last edited by RustyUs; 06-21-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:02 AM
H5487

'Morning Rusty. I should have stated in my first post that I'm only looking for a 2-3 cell charger at this point. I'll probably eventually outgrow such a limited charger but one in this range should get me by for at least a year. After that, I should have a better idea of what I want.

Note that an AC/DC charger is preferable (so I don't have to carry around my heavy DC power supply) but a DC-only charger is acceptable.

Harvey
Old 06-27-2017, 05:27 AM
H5487

Default I took your advice

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
Right now, I have (4) of these: Imax B6 80W Balance Charger Value Hobby
Buzz.
I took your advice and ordered one yesterday.

Thanks for your help!

Harvey
Old 06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
blvdbuzzard

They work well for me. As I do not charge at high C ratings, so I am not worried about how fast they charge.

Now to find a laptop power supply.

Buzz.