Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

6 volt battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 AM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 volt battery

Hey Guys,
Just picked up a new 6 volt 2000 mAh NIMH receiver battery. Queston is, can I charge it
with the wall charger that came with my radio outfit, if so how many hours
should it be charged? Also what should it read on a volt meter with a full charge?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:46 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How is your eyesight? Can you read the voltage and mil amps that the charger puts out on the wall charger you want to use?

Usually you can use a wall charger to form and to recharge a larger Nimh pack. This is because NiMh like a slow charge.

If the wall charger says 4.8v 100 mil use it to form charge for about 22 hours and standing voltage should read about 7.7v no load when done.
depending on the time of use and load of equipment your normal recharge would be 2 or 3 hours.

If the wall charger says 4.8v 50 mil use it to form charge for about 44 hours and standing voltage should read about 7.7v no load when done.
depending on the time of use and load of equipment your normal recharge would be 4 to 6 hours.

All the charger are slightly different so you should post more info about your charger and the type of equipment you are powering ( standard servos, digital, high torque......).

IMHO everybody in RC should invest in a nice charger. The one I use the most is a 40 dollar HK unit that does all chemisties and max rate is 150 watts.

I have others, but, I am sick almost a hobby shop.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:48 AM
cubcrasher

It says 4.8 volt 100 mA, I will be using 7 standard servos. I've got a field charger to use also, but
I thought I should charge them slow the first time.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:21 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes you can use it fine. These wall warts have an open circuit voltage quite a bit higher than than 6 volts, probably closer to 10 or more. When you connect them to your battery, the internal impedance of the charger drops the voltage down to what the battery needs to charge. You can not accurately measure the current with a conventional multimeter due to the form factor of the current pulses. It is not a steady current but is a rectified sine wave or half sine wave depending on whether or not the design uses a full wave inverter or a half wave inverter. If you want to see what the maximum output voltage of the charger is, put a capacitor (rated for 15 volts or more) on the unloaded output and measure the voltage. The capacitor will build up to the peak voltage and hold it steady so that a conventional multimeter on the DC voltage range will measure the voltage. When charging a 5 cell battery, just leave it on the charger a bit longer than you would the 4 cell unit. At these low currents, you will not damage your battery by leaving in on for more than the normal 15 hours.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Just set your field charger to a slower charge rate.....why overthink the problem?
Old 07-14-2017, 12:41 PM
cubcrasher

Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:31 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The 2000 Mah 6v five cell packs are my go to batteries for the majority of my fleet. If you really expect to get the promised capacity of that pack then its time you get a real charger, a simple basic four button smart charger that you can vary the charge current.

Using a wall charger intended for 4.8v 500 to 700 mah packs is a very poor idea since virtually everyone gets confused on the time and I get students all the time doing just this complaining about bad packs. Even last year witnessed a fellow loose his airplane due to a 6v 2000mah that had never been properly charged with wall worts. Your packs best overnight charge rate is 200mah.

John
Old 07-15-2017, 03:15 PM
cubcrasher

Hey John
Which charger do you suggest? I've got the Hobbico quick field charger, but I didn't want to quick
charge them all the time.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Hitec-RCD-Bal...SIN=B0166KUBC4

cubcrasher the Hitec X-1 above is an excellent full service (meaning it will charge most all current chemistries) and will serve you well. The selection out there is huge. Using a charger such as this will assure you that your 6v 2000 mah packs will give you good rated service as well as allowing them to last longer.

My charging station has two single port high output Venom pro plus a Hitec X4 four port and a two port Thunder Power unit. Also use two basic china four button types that are obsolete.

John
Old 07-15-2017, 10:37 PM
cubcrasher

Thanks for your help.