Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

is thia a dud

Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 AM
coyote731

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is thia a dud

I`ve just bought a new nimh 2000ma.battery, I`ve discharged and recharged it twice, its only charging to 1040 and 1220 ma and the discharge takes 120 to 125 mins , is this a good sign that the batt. is bad? RCM
Old 07-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

what voltage are you discharging to? should be 0.9 volts per cell if you want to compare to factory specs. Also must discharge at 0.1C or less else you will get less than factory specs, the faster you discharge, the less the total available energy you will get.

Last edited by Rodney; 07-19-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 PM
coyote731

I was discharging at 500 ma and re-charging at 125, my charger/cycler doesn`t read the voltage. It took 16 hrs. for the charger to auto to trickle.I`ll discharge at 125 and see what happens. RCM

Last edited by coyote731; 07-19-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: NOT ENOUGH INFO
Old 07-20-2017, 04:48 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If anything is a dud it is not your battery it is the use of some vintage charger. I seriously think there is nothing wrong with your Nimh pack. First enough already with all the cycling especially since your not even fully charging your Nimh pack properly. The proper first charge for your 2000mah Nimh pack should be 200mah and fourteen to sixteen hours. Not 125mah, I doubt you are fully charging your pack.

John
Old 07-20-2017, 03:37 PM
coyote731

Default charging

I think you`re right,this charger is about 10 years old and I think it just isn`t charging long enough. I`ve got a phone charger that is 200ma, I can put a lead that will fit my batt. and charge for 10 to 12 hrs and that should do it, any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:15 PM
SteveM
My Feedback: (1)

Last edited by SteveM; 08-16-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
If anything is a dud it is not your battery it is the use of some vintage charger. I seriously think there is nothing wrong with your Nimh pack. First enough already with all the cycling especially since your not even fully charging your Nimh pack properly. The proper first charge for your 2000mah Nimh pack should be 200mah and fourteen to sixteen hours. Not 125mah, I doubt you are fully charging your pack.

John
Originally Posted by coyote731
I think you`re right,this charger is about 10 years old and I think it just isn`t charging long enough. I`ve got a phone charger that is 200ma, I can put a lead that will fit my batt. and charge for 10 to 12 hrs and that should do it, any suggestions?
Mr. Buckner , in a very polite way , was tryin to tell ya here that when it comes to batteries , you really can't cheap out , you've gotta get a good modern charger designed specifically for the packs you'll be charging . The man tells you that you need a proper dedicated hobby battery charger , and then you come back asking about a rigged up homebrew phone charger ? My answer would be No , it likely won't have the appropriate charge profile and if your at all serious about the RC hobby picking up a decent battery charger should be a "no brainer" , since every RC you own will have one type or another battery needing to be charged . A good modern "multi chemistry" charger will be the best new addition to your RC collection and is only something you'll need to buy once for all the RCs you'll be using , for at least the near foreseeable future (ALL tech goes obsolete after a while , even my trusty ol "Astro" charger that I keep as a display unit only) .......