Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Inadvertently pulugged two NiMh batteries together

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Inadvertently pulugged two NiMh batteries together

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:45 AM
Johndmills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inadvertently pulugged two NiMh batteries together

We mistakenly plugged two NiMh batteries together instead to to the charger wire. Came back 15 mins later to the smell of burning electronics. Obviously we unplugged them ASAP and they are currently outside cooling down.

one was a 2000mA 7.2v the other was a 3800mA 7.2

Have we ruined the batteries?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:44 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Very likely

My question, with male connectors on the batteries, and female connectors on the charge leads, how did you manage to connect 2 batteries in such a way that you let the magic smoke out?
Old 10-07-2018, 05:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Johndmills

Have we ruined the batteries?
You're actually in a better position that the rest of us to answer that question. But since you have to ask, the smart thing to do would be to get rid of those batteries and replace them.

I too would like to know how you managed to cross wire those batteries. Sounds to me like some education in wiring is in order.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:04 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I bet you he has mini deans connectors on his wires.. I did this one time.. I had several batteries laying close to each other, and I was switching one off the charger.. and putting another on .. and somehow I got two batteries plugged together instead. the plugs are identical....

Those mini deans plugs are great on little foamies.. but they do have that downfall.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:47 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet these are the connectors in question!
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt-4mm-...10pcs-set.html
These connectors are split gender. When you plug one configured for the battery side to one configured for the load/ESC side the polarity will be correct, BUT,i f you pick up 2 batteries and connect them, the polarity will be reversed and the batteries will be in series. I've seen this happen with large lipos a number of times on other forums.
If this be the case, I would immediately switch to ANY other popular hobby grade connector. With any of the other hobby grade battery connectors, this cannot happen.
XT's EC's or T-plugs are a much better choice.
Pete