Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

transmitter battery recovering it

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

transmitter battery recovering it

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 04:06 AM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmitter battery recovering it

my battery went low in my futaba transmitter a lipo 2200mah 8C so checking it one cell was way down to 2 volts, so I recharged is on a slow 500ma setting and it came back to normal I checed it 2 days latter after sitting and its still holding all cells 4.18 ,4.17, 4.19 V .is this possibly going to be OK?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:18 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Probably. Its not unusual to get a recovery or two out of a lipo, especially one thats discharging at a very low rate.

Keep an eye on it, obviously it dying would be a bad thing but if its ok for a couple of cycles you got away with one.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 AM
suzonka

Default battery recovery transmitter

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Probably. Its not unusual to get a recovery or two out of a lipo, especially one thats discharging at a very low rate.

Keep an eye on it, obviously it dying would be a bad thing but if its ok for a couple of cycles you got away with one.
battery recovery

Gee Thanks for the fast answer , so in other words if I get another 2 good charges out of it and never let it get down to 9 volts on my transmitter voltage like i stupidly did to cause this I guess unless its just a bad cell however if it continues to recharge 2 times or more and I recharge it after it goes down to a safe voltage like 10.5 volts on my transmitter then recharge it , your saying it may be good for a long time? hhmmm
Old 10-25-2017, 06:07 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats what I'm saying
Old 10-25-2017, 06:52 AM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which transmitter are you using? Dan.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chances are very good that you can still use that battery for a long time. What happens under the conditions you described is that the internal resistance goes way up but; at the low discharge currents your transmitter uses, it will not have any serious problems.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:52 PM
suzonka

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Which transmitter are you using? Dan.
transmitter type battery

t7cap Futaba
Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM
suzonka

Default battery recovery transmitter

Originally Posted by Rodney
Chances are very good that you can still use that battery for a long time. What happens under the conditions you described is that the internal resistance goes way up but; at the low discharge currents your transmitter uses, it will not have any serious problems.
transmitter battery went low OK

Gee what a relief Its been 3 days now after a ful recharge an no problems yet
Old 10-25-2017, 02:08 PM
thepamster

I didn't know you could use a 3S Lipo in a Futaba T7C.
I use a 3S Life in mine.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:02 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

suzanka. That transmitter is designed to work with an eight cell NiCad battery pack with a 9.6 steady state voltage. You better ask the Futaba support if the higher voltage you are using is detrimental to the transmitter's survival over time. Guys I fly with have fried their transmitters when doing this. Sorry to throw a wrench in to your post here but I would feel guilty if I just ignored it. Dan
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 PM
pilotpete2

If one insists on running a 3S lipo in a legacy 8 cell transmitter, it's a good idea to add 2 diodes in series with the pack. This will drop the full charge voltage to about 11.2V, exactly what an 8 cell Nixx pack will charge to. It also will correct the low voltage warning, so you will be less likely to run the lipo too low.
On the other hand, 3S Life transmitter pack is probably a simpler and safer choice.
Pete
Old 10-26-2017, 01:10 PM
suzonka

Default ​​​​​​​diode in transmitter pack

Originally Posted by pilotpete2
If one insists on running a 3S lipo in a legacy 8 cell transmitter, it's a good idea to add 2 diodes in series with the pack. This will drop the full charge voltage to about 11.2V, exactly what an 8 cell Nixx pack will charge to. It also will correct the low voltage warning, so you will be less likely to run the lipo too low.
On the other hand, 3S Life transmitter pack is probably a simpler and safer choice.
Pete
diode in transmitter pack ,I have seen that somewhere , how ever when ever I googled about the transmitter packs that are made for transmitters at 12.3 volts they say the transmitter can handle it .? hmmm now ya got me thinking . and it you put the diodes in will it make the lipo pack drops faster in voltage a con?

Last edited by suzonka; 10-26-2017 at 06:56 PM. Reason: spelling