Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

4 port charger ba. single port with parallel board

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

4 port charger ba. single port with parallel board

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:21 AM
pooch692000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 port charger ba. single port with parallel board

Looking at purchasing either a 20a/300 watt charger for $129 and using a parallel board or a 4 port charger for $169. 5000mah/2s batts. 1 c charge is 5a and needs 42 watts, so each charger works to charge 4 of my batts at aame time. 4 port description. “240W OF CHARGING POWER! Ports 1 & 2 capable of 12A/120W. Ports 3 & 4 capable of 6A/60W. Most chargers only allow the 240W output to be split equally between each port, 60W ea. But what if you weren't using the full 60Watts on Port 3 or 4 and wanted to use that extra power that's left over to power Port 1 & 2? Now you can! Each port has 60W dedicated to it. If Port 3 is not using all 60W, Port 1 can borrow whats left over! If Port 4 is not using all of its 60W, Port 2 can borrow whats left over!

Worth the extra $50. Given the 4 port specs, could i charge 6 batteries at same time using para board on it? Im assuming that you can nalance charge, store and discharge isong paraboard/single port configuration?
Old 11-12-2017, 07:37 AM
pooch692000

One other question regarding charger settings in para charging. When I charge my single 2s 5000 mah battery at 1c, i set my charger to 5amps and 5000mah. If i am paracharging these two at 1c, i would set the charger to 10a, but do i need to set the mah settinng to10,000 mah now? Or does it even matter?
Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Question 1: I went through this process this year when choosing a charger. A lot of the questions depends on how you use your charger. If you have power where you run your vehicles, it's nice to have more than one port so you can put a battery on, go fly or drive, then put the next battery on when it's depleted. I bought a dual port charger, the Ultra Power UP120 duo. It's perfect for what I do.
If you only charge at home and have a lot batteries, you can get a bit more wattage for your money by going with a single port charger and using a balance board. And, of course, there's always the option of getting a cheap backup charger for those times you want to charge the way I described above.

Question 2: As for your other question, the charger sees your multiple packs plugged into the balance board as one big pack. So you set the charger for the total capacity of the batteries you are charging. When I plug in 3 2200 mah batteries to a para board, I set the charger for 6 amps (6,000 ma). That gives me just under a 1c charge rate for all of the batteries.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:29 AM
pooch692000

Thanks. I already have a 5a/50 watt hyperion eos 0606i. Wantes to be able to charge 4 batts at same time. Think im leaning towarss the paranoard and single charger