Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

1200 mah battery 500 ma charger

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

1200 mah battery 500 ma charger

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:33 PM
jakobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1200 mah battery 500 ma charger

I recently purchased a Traxxas VXL E-Revo and it came with a NiMH battery with 1200 MAH. I don't like how I have to charge it in a car, so I bought an adapter so i could charge it indoors. The adapter is only 500 ma though. Whenever I plug in the battery, it charges for 30 seconds then it blinks red. Any suggestion on what adpater to buy?

Adapter is an AOKII AC to DC Power Socket Adapter Converter from amazon.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:48 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Ah, the old RTR package lure. Just enough to get you up and running. Another reason I wish companies would make basic kits again. The DC charger Traxxass's packages with their RCs, is included to keep price down. They are hoping you will buy the AC adapter at a later. Me, I'd just invest in a good charger to start with.

For the price of what Traxxas wants for their 4 amp DC NiMh charger, they should include something like a Hitec X1 Nano LiPo/LiHV/NiMH AC Battery Charger in their packages.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:39 PM
jakobi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everywhere that ive seen is saying that it should work, but it will take twice as long? Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jakobi
I recently purchased a Traxxas VXL E-Revo and it came with a NiMH battery with 1200 MAH. I don't like how I have to charge it in a car, so I bought an adapter so i could charge it indoors. The adapter is only 500 ma though. Whenever I plug in the battery, it charges for 30 seconds then it blinks red. Any suggestion on what adpater to buy?

Adapter is an AOKII AC to DC Power Socket Adapter Converter from amazon.
It is safe to charge Nimh or NiCad batteries while installed. Nimh batteries give the best results including longevity when charged at 1/10 of their rated capacity which for your battery is well within the charging capability of your setup. I suspect that your charging system is sensing that something is not connected correctly.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

karol... you didn't read that the guys adapter is only putting out 500mah's did ya...?

What he needs is a "12volt converter" that puts out more amperage then the charger needs to operate....

I'm not sure what the charge rate is set for ... or what it's output is.. but ballpark figures are... If it's a one-hour charger.. It's probably putting out somewhere in the range of 1.2 amps to the battery. The adapter that he's trying to use is only putting out 500mah's. (1/2 amp.. that's one half an amp)). That's less then half of what the charger needs to operate in this case of charging a 1200mah battery.... The charger itself can't charge at a faster rate then the source it's getting power from. There's just no way that adapter will run it. That little wall-wart adapter is for cell-phones and very small devices.... so yeah.. not near what's needed to charge a 1200mah hobby battery of any sort.

Instead of buying a 12v converter though, buy an AC/DC capable charger.. one that works with both AC(in the house/garage), or hooked up to a car battery(DC). That' would be your best bet.... and a good AC/DC charger will be alot less money then a 12v converter.... and you'd be able to charge any battery on the planet... including cell-phones and small devices. Ditch the adapter and the smallish charger.. whatever it is.

Last edited by DGrant; 02-22-2018 at 09:55 PM.