Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

what battery ?.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 08:22 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what battery ?.

i want to build a flight box. in it, will be the battery for my starter. a Hobbico Torquemaster 90. what would be a good battery that won't be as big as a house and as heavy as an elephant to put in the flightbox.. I prefer wet cell simply because I know very little about the more modern dry batteries that would have enough power to run a starter reliably, but am open to all suggestions from you more knowledgeable guys . if you suggest a specific dry battery please include what kind of charger I would need to maintain it. this summer will be this old goat's first flight in more than 49 years so my knowledge of today's battery tech is lacking. thanks much in advance, fella's. i'll be starting .40- .60 glow engines by the way. I can design the box to accommodate anything as I am retired from a career of carpentry,cabinet and furniture making and general wood work and have a small, but well equipped cabinet shop out my back door.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:26 AM
tntpooof

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me id go with real A123 or LiFE batteries.. they will have enough juice to start any nitro you have.. you can charge 4 cells direct off your car alternator or charge system..if you need more than a 50 amp draw for 5 minutes you can run2x4 cells..
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 PM
huggins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use two 6 cell 2400mah nicad packs in series. The same ones that they used to use for electric planes before lipo’s. I made a bracket and they are attached directly to the starter. Also, I believe Sullivan used to make a battery pack adaptor that attaches to your starter that you put your own sub-c cells in. Don’t know if they still have them or not.